The Minnesota Historical Society received the corporate records of the Northern Pacific Railway, the Great Northern Railway and the Spokane Portland and Seattle Railway with the creation of the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1970.
MHS' address is:
345 Kellogg Boulevard West
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102-1906
MHS Web Site
This information is ordered by:
MHS Box Number
NP File Number
Additional notes (if any)
Ravensdale (Orginally Leary) is a small coal-mining town on the western approach to Stampede Pass. It lies between Auburn in the west and Kanaskat in the east. It was the site of a large coal-mining boom town until 1915, when a key mine suffered an explosion. Today it is the only active shipping point on the western half of the line, with coal from a nearby John Henry strip mine being loaded for export to Asia.
RAVENSDALE: COAL STRIPPING & LOADING
RAVENSDALE: HENRY'S SPUR
RAVENSDALE: OVERHEAD BRIDGES
RAVENSDALE: OVERHEAD CROSSING
BIDS FOR ROUNDHOUSE ADDITIONS
Roza, along with Umtanum and more importantly Wymer, was a small train order station in the Yakima Canyon. It was located between Ellensburg in the west and Yakima in the east.
ROZA: GENERAL FILE
Bolosky Brothers, a ranching outfit, moved from Lyle to a 60,000 acre ranch at Roza circa May, 1925, and asked the NP to build a new four pen yard at Roza.
Seattle became home to many key NP facilities including docks, warehouses and several offices in the years after it chose Tacoma as its western terminus. In later years the NP's western headquarters was Seattle's L. C. Smith Building, (Smith Tower) which, at 42 stories, was the tallest building west of the Mississippi for many years.
SEATTLE: ENGINE FACILITIES
Stampede Pass was the site chosen to be the NP's crossing of the Cascade Range. Discovered by Virgil G. Bogue in the 1880s, it was originally named Garfield Pass after President James A. Garfield. Popular rumor states the pass received its present name when NP construction gangs, fearing a ruthless trail boss sent to speed their progress, bolted from the site.
STAMPEDE PASS: DOUBLE TRACKING, 1903-12
On December 28, 1912, Locke M. Perkins reports that the Lester roundhouse is similar to the one recently constructed at Easton. "...Machine shop, office, etc. to be identical." On December 26, William L. Darling tells Locke M. Perkins that it's imperative "...That the Lester roundhouse be constructed in time to house new [M]allet power which should reach us within the next 60 days. Hurry preparation of plans for the roundhouse and forward."
Thomas Z. Krumm is the Assistant Engineer at Lester overseeing the planning and construction of the double track during this time. On December 27, William L. Darling says the supply agent has sent a drafting table with horses to Kennedy and Upham for him. Two of the swivel chairs sent to Krumm had been demolished in transit. He also sent telegrams as far as Deerfield, Minnesota in search of a spare drafting table (but the draftsman there said he wanted to keep it).
As early as the time of the double tracking a gigantic tunnel on the size of the Great Northern's 1929 Cascade Tunnel had been proposed. Maps showing a tunnel moving from a position between Borup and Kennedy to a point between Martin and Whittier on the Milwaukee Road were laid out. The new "long tunnel" would probably have tripled or quadrupled in length and reduced the grade to one percent.
A clipping from Colonel Hiram Chittiden in Pacific Northwest Commerce magazine of April, 1910, stresses the need for a low grade, long tunnel under the Cascades.
A memo on New York, New Haven & Hartford R. R. (The New Haven) letterhead from Edwin H. McHenry (now serving on the New Haven) to William L. Darling on December 16 regarding the re-alignment of the main from the Weston Loop to the Viaduct states "In light of the results obtained it would seem that the original location was fairly open to criticism." Edwin H. McHenry was one of the orginal engineers at the location and completion of Stampede Tunnel in the 1880s.
The Chief Engineer in October, 1910, Edward J. Pearson has an inquiry on the rail laid on Stampede. The reply is 72-pound rail was laid in 1902. The NP's bickering on what to do about double tracking Stampede stretches back to the end of 1903.
One copy of a memo from Thomas Z. Krumm, Assistant Engineer stationed on Stampede Pass to Asahel R. Cook, Principal Assistant Engineer, Tacoma, January 1, 1913. Krumm's request for snow shoes. One page.
STAMPEDE: LINE CHANGE
On May 13 the decision is made to move the tracks out from 13-foot centers to 14 feet. The correspondence notes that a rotary with wings out covers 12 feet eight inches leaving a four inches of clearance for crews. The additional foot will cost the NP $17,000 in bridge widening and $10,000 in grade widening.
Thomas Z. Krumm, the Assistant Engineer states on July 3, 1913, that there is trouble with the "Greek Gang" on the double tracking work and he is going to have them taken off.
March 22, 1913, William L. Darling sends a note to Howard E. Stevens, Bridge Engineer telling him to carry the footings of the Viaduct 15 to 18 feet below the bottom of the Green River's bed.
The final length of the double track between Lester and Easton is 17.35 miles. The Upham and Borup depots both had to be moved to accommodate the double tracking. Cost to move: $400 each.
On January 8, 1913 S. J. Bratager sends a telegram to William L. Darling on the Lester roundhouse. It is to be a six-stall frame roundhouse 110 feet deep with a 44 by 92-foot machine shop and a 15 by 46-foot office and storehouse. Authority for Expenditure 661-12, similar to the facility erected at Easton but three stalls larger.
One copy of "Estimate of cost covering double track, grade revision, and change of line from Easton to Lester," February 12, 1913. Complete cost-analysis for the Stampede Pass double-tracking. Oversize, nine pages.
Folder 1, Cascade Mountains surveys for 1870-72.
Folder 2 & 3, D. C. Lindsey and others surveys.
W. Milnor Roberts reports on Columbia, Palouse and Cowlitz Passes, circa 1878. Folder 5, 1880. Reports by Isaac Smith, Roberts and Virgil Bogue.
Folder 6, 1881. Smith and Bogue reports, various distances and statistics from their surveys.
Folder 7. August to December, 1881. More distances of the possible routes.
Folder 8, YEars 1882-84. Surveys and cost of buildings over the various passes.
Folder 1. Appendices to Bogue's reports.
Folder 2. Various estimates and snow reports from Snoqualmie Pass by J. T. Sheet.
Folder 3. Appendices for surveys dating back to 1872.
Folder 4. Skagit, Skykomish and Northern surveys.
File 158 Miscellaneous
Olympia Bay map and map of the NP's various Cascade surveys.
One copy D. D. Clark to W. Milnor Roberts, July 23, 1878. List of survey equipment used by the party. Oversize, five pages.
One copy "The Snow Reports," 1870-1882. Summary of various reports of snowfall encountered in the NP's various surveys of the Cascades. Oversize, seven pages.
One copy of report from Isaac W. Smith, Engineer, Cascade Surveys, New Tacoma, to General Adna Anderson, Chief Engineer, New York, February 21, 1881. Summary of survey parties working in the Cascades. Oversize, Six pages.
One copy of "Field report operations on Green River Pass," Colonel Isaac W. Smith, Chief Engineer, Cascade Division, to General John W. Sprague, General Superintendent at New Tacoma, March 12, 1881. Summary of NP surveying in the Cascades. Fifteen pages.
One copy of a report from Hubert C. Ward, Assistant Engineer to Isaac Smith, March 23, 1881. Four pages.
One copy of a report from Virgil G. Bogue, Assistant Engineer, to Isaac Smith, March 24, 1881. Five pages.
One copy of "Report on Green River Pass," Isaac Smith to General Sprague, April 8, 1882. 4 pages.
One copy of a report from General Adna Anderson, Engineer-in-Chief to Thomas F. Oakes, NP Vice-President, January 11, 1884. Summary of pass routes from Yakima to Puget Sound. Ten pages.
One copy of a solicitation for bids, Adna Anderson, Engineer-in-Chief, St. Paul, April 1, 1885. Specifications for Stampede Tunnel. Two pages.
One copy of bid, Nelson Bennett, Tacoma, to NP Engineer's Office, St. Paul, May 7, 1885. Oversize, Two pages.
One copy of bid, Reid, Harris & Company, New York, to NP Engineer's Office, St. Paul, May 16, 1885. Oversize, Five pages.
One copy of a memo from Virgil G. Bogue, Principal Assistant Engineer, Portland, to General Adna Anderson, St. Paul, April 7, 1885. Request to have bidders inspect the timber available to them in the Stampede Tunnel area. One page.
One copy of a report from Virgil G. Bogue, Portland, to General Adna Anderson, Engineer-in-Chief, New York, May 16, 1885. Bogue's report on one of the Stampede Tunnel bidders. Five pages.
One copy of "Parties invited to bid on Stampede Tunnel," November 30, 1885. One page.
One copy of "Synopsis of Bids for constructing the Cascade Mountain Tunnel..." N.D., probably circa 1885. Oversize, four pages.
CASCADE MOUNTAINS: P. E. THIAN'S LOW GRADE LINE, 1923
CASCADE MOUNTAINS SURVEY: D. C. LINDSEY
EXPLORATION, CASCADE PASSES, TACOMA TO GREEN RIVER SURVEY
STAMPEDE PASS: FIRST SURVEY PARTY
Author: John A. Phillips, III. Title: Files from
the Office of the Chief Engineer of the Northern Pacific
Railway at the Minnesota Historical Society, R-S.
© March 20, 2002