The Minnesota Historical Society received the corporate records of the Northern Pacific Railway, the Great Northern Railway and the Spokane Portland and Seattle Railway with the creation of the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1970.
MHS' address is:
345 Kellogg Boulevard West
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102-1906
MHS Web Site
This information is ordered by:
MHS Box Number
NP File Number
Additional notes (if any)
Nagrom was a small logging community on the Stampede Pass line in 1910 by Elmer G. Morgan (Nagrom is simply Morgan spelled backwards). It was located immediately west of Lester and east of Humphrey.
NAGROM: MORGAN LUMBER COMPANY CROSSING
Temporary trestle under Bridge 64 circa 1920.
ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT: ORGANIZATION
NP SIGNAL DEPARTMENT
The Pacific Division was the NP's first division in Washington, being extended from Kalama (on the Columbia River and with ferry service to Portland) to Tacoma circa 1873. It grew to embrace the western approach to Stampede Pass, but was divided up amongst the Seattle Division (Stampede Pass and lines north of Seattle) and the Tacoma Division (Seattle to Portland and the Buckley Line).
William L. Darling to George A. Kyle, on April 9, 1902, now Division Engineer. Looking around for a new Foreman at Stampede Tunnel. Adolph Bader had died on the job sometime between March 6 and 13. Recommends John Harting with the Operating Department, "...Now putting in culverts between Martin and Cle Elum." Alexander Will, a concrete foreman in the tunnel for ten years was "...A first class man but lacks the ability to keep time and make reports."
Edwin H. McHenry wires the James A. Dun of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe about their Franklin Tunnel in 1901. Both Franklin and Stampede appeared to have shearing action from upward pressure. On February 20, 1901, a clay fill at least 12 feet deep was discovered whose bottom could not be sounded out.
PACIFIC DIVISION: ABS
First Subdivision ABS installation costs.
One copy of "Pacific Division, First District, Main Line, Ellensburg to Auburn, Estimated cost of proposed distant signals to be used in conjunction with A.B.C. system of train dispatching," Principal Assistant Engineer, St. Paul, November 3, 1908. Oversize, four pages.
One copy of "Estimate of cost of installing 32 advance station signals to be used in connection with 'A.B.C.' system of dispatching trains," Principal Assistant Engineer, St. Paul, November 3, 1908. Oversize, three pages.
PACIFIC DIVISION: ACCOUNTS, 1893-9
PACIFIC DIVISION: BRIDGES
PACIFIC DIVISION: BRIDGES
PACIFIC DIVISION: IMPROVEMENTS
Files 105 Miscellaneous to 104-4. Bridging contracts 1889-1890s.
Files 105-5 to 105-12, Kalama barge, circa 1890.
Files 105-13 to 105-32, grading and filling contracts.
PACIFIC DIVISION: IMPROVEMENTS
Files 105-33 to 105-42, 1890's. P. N. Jeps contracted for depots at Centralia and Puyallup, circa 1891. Galt Brothers contracted in 1894 for repairs to the Edison Shops (South Tacoma Shops). Link Belt Machine Company contracts in 1895 for Tacoma Coal Bunkers.
Files 105-43 to 105-46, bridging contracts from the 1890s.
Files 105-47 to 105-48, more bridging contracts, up to 1898.
Files 105-49 to 105-55, work in August, 1899, on changing Tunnel 5 on the Pacific Division into an open cut. Contractor was Nelson Bennett. Telegrams regarding the slowness of Bennett's works and trouble between NP engineering officials and Bennett. M. E. Dudley and I. W. Mason contracted to build the Hoquiam and Aberdeen depots in August, 1898.
One copy of a report from John W. Kendrick, General Manager, St. Paul, to Edwin H. McHenry, Chief Engineer, St. Paul, August 26, 1897. "Bennett has abandoned the work..." One page.
One copy of a report from Edward J. Pearson, Superintendent at Tacoma to William G. Pearce, Assistant General Superintendent at Tacoma, August 21, 1899. Second report of Nelson Bennett's unsafe blasting at Tunnel Number 5. One page.
One copy of report from John W. Kendrick, NP Second Vice-President, St. Paul, to Edwin H, McHenry, Chief Engineer, St. Paul, September 5, 1899. Notes on the troubles with Nelson Bennett's relining of Tunnel 5. Two pages.
PACIFIC DIVISION: INTERLOCKING SIGNALS
PACIFIC DIVISION: ROADBED & TRACK
PACIFIC DIVISION: SIGNS
PACIFIC DIVISION: TUNNELS
Swelling at the center of Stampede Tunnel circa 1900. Martin and Stampede phones added shortly thereafter. Adolph Bader, Foreman at Stampede Tunnel at this time. Tunnel 8 near Eagle Gorge permanently lined in March, 1900.
One copy of report from Principal Assistant Engineer, Tacoma, to John W. Kendrick, Chief Engineer, St. Paul, November 26, 1888. Assessment and outlook on Stampede Tunnel. Oversize, nine pages.
One copy of a report from Adolph Bader, Tunnel Foreman at Stampede Tunnel to Charles S. Bihler, Division Engineer at Tacoma, June 21, 1900. Splits, cracks and hollowing out in Stampede Tunnel. Two pages.
One copy of a report from Charles S. Churchill, Norfolk & Western Railway to William L. Darling, Chief Engineer, St. Paul, October 23, 1914. Churchill's inspection report on Stampede Tunnel with W. A. Burt, Chief Engineer, Norfolk and Western, from their visit on October 17, 1914. Three pages.
One copy of a report from Chief Engineer of Maintenance of Way, St. Paul, to Locke M. Perkins, Engineer, Maintenance of Way, Tacoma, November 17, 1914. Minor problems at the Stampede Vent Plant. Two pages.
One copy of "Anemometer Readings Stampede Tunnel," by R. G. Gaylord, Recorder, from June 19, 1913 to July 24, 1913. Gaylord would stay on in Tacoma Division Engineers Office to World War Two. Mixture of readings taken at Stampede and Martin, with time, temperature, elapsed time, fan velocity, train conditions and occasional general remarks, 72 pages.
PACIFIC & TACOMA DIVISION: SPURS
Morgan Lumber Company leases dating from 1910, two in 1911, two in 1912, and 1917. Tracks to connect respectively with the NP at Hot Springs, Maywood, Weston and Nagrom. Note stating the tracks were later assigned to Howe-McGibbon in a memo dated August 24, 1949. Maywood at Mile Post 65, Howe-McGibbon assigned tracks here by September 29, 1926. Moore Mining Company spur at Palmer was built in 1901.
One copy of contract and trackage map for Howe-McGibbon Timber Company at Nagrom, September 29, 1926. Oversize, three pages.
The Palmer Cut-Off was built from 1899-1900 between Palmer (present-day Kanaskat) and Auburn. This replaced a portion of the NP's original Stampede Pass route, that which extended from Tacoma to Palmer via Buckley and Enumclaw (this became the Buckley Line).
The Engineering Office on the Palmer Cut-Off was closed in 1901. During the early phases of the work the project engineer, George A. Kyle, issued passes so workers could get out to the site. He simply crossed out the printing on the cards and inserted his own. News of this reached the Second Vice- President John W. Kendrick, who started of a chain of five memos reaching down from Engineering department head to department head and back to Kyle. Surprisingly, by 1902 Kyle would be promoted up to Division Engineer.
The Cut-Off would be 21.7 miles long, and was turned over to the Operating Department on September 1, 1900, two months behind schedule. By July 17, over half-a-month after the line was supposed to have opened 130-150 men were still working on it. Work had begun on February 20, 1899.
Buildings included two second-class section houses, costing $1,000 each one third class combination depot (Model S26-14) two fourth class combination depots (S26-31) three privies costing $100 each, fixtures and furnishing for the buildings for $50 each, and wells for each station for $65 each.
A telegram was sent in code to George A. Kyle from William L. Darling to see if the line would be ready for Edwin H. McHenry's upcoming inspection trip. The code name for the cut-off: "Rodent Frugality."
In December, 1906, Harry J. Horn called William L. Darling: "Why we built the Auburn-Palmer Junction line in place of the old..." There was apparently a suit to compel the NP to return to running on their old line according the their charter.
One copy of report from Charles S. Bihler, Western Divisions Engineer at Tacoma to Edwin H. McHenry, Chief Engineer at St. Paul, March 22, 1900. Proposed station facilities for the Palmer Cut-Off. Two pages.
One copy of report from John W. Kendrick, Second Vice-President to Edwin H. McHenry, July 18, 1900. Kendrick's views on the nearly-completed cut-off. Three pages.
One copy of a report from Charles S. Bihler, Western Divisions Engineer, to Edwin H. McHenry, August 25, 1900. Summary of place, use, type of construction, exterior dimension and value of NP structures on the Palmer Cut-Off. Two pages.
One copy of a report from Paul W. Corbett, Assistant Secretary to Edwin H. McHenry, August 29, 1900. List of insured NP structures on Palmer Cut-Off. 2 pages.
PALMER CUT-OFF: BRIDGES
PALMER CUT-OFF: GRADING CONTRACTS
Pasco, on the Columbia River, was the jump off point for the NP's westward construction towards Stampede Pass (the NP also built eastwards from Tacoma). Pasco was once headquarters of the Pasco Division, and later a major facility on the NP's Idaho Division.
PASCO TO AUBURN: ELECTRIFICATION, 1926-24
Author: John A. Phillips, III. Title: Files from
the Office of the Chief Engineer of the Northern Pacific
Railway at the Minnesota Historical Society, N-P.
© March 20, 2002