Return

Project Background

Click here to view the Project History

In  the  mid 1970's,  the  New  York  State  Diver's  Association  worked  under  a  New  York  State  permit  to  excavate  a  ship  wreck  in  North  Bay  Carleton  Island  in  the  St.  Lawrence  River  near  Cape  Vincent,  NY.  Carleton Island was a shipyard and shipment terminal occupied only during the American Revolutionary War. It was the supply post on the North East end of Lake Ontario where goods were transferred from small river bateaux onto lake sailing vessels. Two volunteer  Divers/researchers  on  the  project,  Dennis  McCarthy  and Michael  Hughes of  Syracuse,  became  interested  in  trying to identify the wreck in North Bay by the process of eliminating vessels that would have existed at the time Carleton Island was operational. Available to the researchers was a list of vessels that the British held on Lake Ontario from 1760 to 1778.
 
 

In  searching  primary  documents in the Canadian National Archives, Mike Hughes  discovered  a  court  of  inquiry  of a ship wreck in 1761.  This  court  of  inquiry  was  of  the  British  vessel  H.M.S.  ANSON (Click here to see Letters)  that  had  been  "cast  away"  on  an  unknown  ledge of rocks  in  the  St.  Lawrence  River.  By  comparing  information  from  the  1761  court  of  inquiry  with  a  documented  list  of  what  had  happened  to  the  fleet  on  Lake  Ontario  from  1760  to  the  outbreak  of  the  Revolutionary  War,  it  was  concluded  that  the  court  of  inquiry  had  to  relate  to  one  of  two  possible  ships.  These  two  ships  had  been  captured  from  the  French  by  General  Amhurst  in  1760.  Additional  documents  were  used  to  determine  that  the  vessel  which  had  run  aground  and  been  "cast  away"  was  the  renamed  French  corvette  l’IROQUOISE.

Letters from from  the  ship's  commander  to  the  commanding officer of  Fort  Niagara  Fort William Agustus( Chimney Isle) and  Fort  Ontario, placed  the  "cast  away"  location  of  the  IROQUOISE  in  the  area  of  the  Narrows,  which  lies  in  the  New  York  State  waters of the St.  Lawrence  River between  Wesley  Island  and  the  mainland.

Having  found  this  information,  Michael  Hughes  and  Dennis  McCarthy  began  to  talk  to  other  divers  about  shipwrecks  that  had  been  found  in  the  Narrows.  They  discovered  that  in  1962  divers  had  removed  French  cannons  from  a  wreck  on  Niagara  Shoal.  The  location  of  Niagara  Shoal  fit  the  description  given  in  the  1761  court  of  inquiry  on  the  loss  of  the  H.M.S.  ANSON.  One  of  the  cannons  had  been  donated  to  Jefferson  Community  College  in  Watertown  NY  and  is  currently  on  display  at  the  campus.

In  1972,  a scuba  diver  from  Syracuse  recovered a  wood  stocked  anchor from  Niagara  Shoal.  The  anchor  had  a  large  ring,  which  is  typical  of  older  anchors  that  used  hemp  rope  rather  than anchor  chains, which the  more  modern  smaller  rings  are  designed  to be used  with.  From  photos  that  were  sent  to  the  Smithsonian,  the  anchor  was  identified  as  being  from  the  18th  century. The anchor was viewed by SRHF members in 1994 at the New York State preservation center at Pebble Island.

In  the  early  1980's  Michael  Hughes  and  Dennis  McCarthy  were  taken  to  the  site  of  the  shipwreck  by  Skip  Couch  of  Clayton.  The  vessel  was  laying  in  65  ft  to  80  ft  of  water.  At  the  time,  visibility  was  very  poor  and  the  shipwreck  was  very  difficult  to  dive  due  to  very  strong  currents  at  the  site.  A limited  survey  of  the  vessel  showed  it  was  in  a  deteriorated  state.  It  was  completely  open  with  only  the  very  lowest  potion  of  the  vessel  remaining.  Having  been  a diving site  since  1960,  no  visible  artifacts  remained.

In  1993,  interest  in  this  vessel  rekindled  when  Peter  Engelbert,  Staff  Archaeologist  from  the  Ontario  Ministry  of  Culture  and  Tourism,  visited  the  site.  Dennis  McCarthy  and  Michael  Hughes  returned  to  Niagara  Shoal  for  the  first  time  in  over  ten  years.  It  was  evident  that  the  vessel  had  deteriorated  greatly.  It  was  completely  covered  in  zebra  mussels,  adding  significant  weight  to  the  extremely  fragile  structure.  With  the  renewed  interest  in  the  shipwreck  and  concern  for  its  deterioration, the St. Lawrence River Historical Foundation Inc. (SRHF) was  formed   as  a  non-profit  corporation  in   July  of  1994.  SRHF’s charter is  to  promote  research  and  education  regarding the  maritime  history  of  the  St.  Lawrence  River.  The  IROQUOISE  PROJECT  of  SRHF  is  designed  to  document  through  non contact  methods  the  wreck  on  Niagara  Shoal  and  to preserve  this  information  for future  generations,  regardless  of  what  happens  to  the  vessel  itself.















Saint Lawrence River Historical Foundation (c) 1993 - 2003