At present, one descendant from Richard Tucker has DNA tested. They are descended
through his son Hosea, and then Hosea's son Robert Albert. They have no matches to
date with any otherTucker that has tested. They are kit #215798 at TUCKER DNA Results.
Tests through different lines descended from Richard would be beneficial in verifying
the DNA results.
Richard TUCKER was born between 17601-1765.2 He was married in Frederick Co., MD,
but appeared in the 1790 and 1800 Montgomery Co., MD with 29 and 53 slaves
respectively. Both were unusually high numbers, but no record is found
of his owning any land. By 1803 he was in Hampshire Co., (West) Virginia,3
where other TUCKER families with a Montgomery Co., MD origin were
living, but no relation has been proved. He last appeared there in the
1828 list.4 Richard died between 1833 when he purchased a tract of land5
in Richland Co., OH and 1840.6 In 1845 that tract of land was part of
a four mile wide strip that was changed from Richland to Crawford Co., OH.
m. 18 Feb. 17867
Rachel HIGGINS b. 1760/1770 MD;1 children:'
1. John H. TUCKER6 b. ca. 17888 MD8; m.1. -?- -?- ca. 1810;10 m.2. Martha
CONNLEY 17 Jan. 1839;9 died between 1 June 18608 and 16 Feb. 186112
2. Mary "Polly" TUCKER6 b. ca. 179211/313 MD11; never married (insane);13
living 1850 Richland Co., OH11
3. Hosea TUCKER6 b. 180814 Hampshire Co., (West) Virginia; m. Catherine
GARRISON 16 Nov.14/Dec.18 1830; d. 1 Jan. 185914,36 Whitley Co., IN36
Hosea TUCKER and Catherine GARRISON had children:
1. William Nelson TUCKER b. 16 Nov. 183114,20 Auburn Twp., Crawford Co.,
OH; m.1. Rachel WINDLE 27 Sep. 1857;16 m.2. Mary Jane MONTAGUE
1 Sep. 1869;19,20,44 d. 23 Apr. 1912 Albany, Whiteside Co., IL;19,20
bur. Oakridge Cem., Albany, Whiteside Co., IL20,32
2. Lucinda TUCKER b. 19 Dec. 183214 OH; m. John L. SHOWALTER 1 July 1851;15
m.2. John L. SHOWALTER 14 Apr. 1855;16 [he 2ndly married her sister Martha];
m.3. James Jones 31 Dec. 186316; living 187021
3. Rachel TUCKER b. 17 Sep. 183414 OH; m. Isaiah SMITH 22 Jan. 1856;16
[he 2ndly married her sister Sarah]; d. 185616-186022 Whitley Co., IN
4. Richard Wheeler TUCKER b. 24 July 183614 OH; m. Susanna WINDLE
8 Mar. 1857;16 d. 186423-187024
5. Robert Albert TUCKER b. 13 Mar.25/3 May 183914 Ashland Co., OH;14 m.1.
Sarah Ellen Elizabeth JONES 5 Nov. 1865;14,28 m.2. Dorotha Hannah L. KERNS14
14 May 1892;29 divorced 14 Apr. 1911;14 d. 30 Jan. 1917;27,50
Coesse, Whitley Co.;50 bur. Coesse Hope Lutheran Cem., Union Twp.,
Whitley Co., IN26,27,46,50
6. Martha Ann TUCKER b. 25 Aug. 184114,33,47 OH; m. John L. SHOWALTER 20 June 1879;30,31
d. 13 Jan. 1929, bur. Fenton Cem., Whiteside Co., IL33,47
7. Sarah Anna TUCKER by 10 Jan. 184414,27,51 OH;51 m. Isaiah SMITH 14 Sep. 1865;16
d. 16 Feb. 193127,51 Columbia City, Whitley;51 bur. Garrison Cem., Smith Twp.,
Whitley Co., IN27,34,51
8. Samuel TUCKER b. Jan. 184614 OH; d. 4 Feb. 184614 OH
9. Almina TUCKER b. 2 Feb. 184714,45 OH; m. Henry GRAVES 9 Feb. 1865;16
d. 21 Mar. 1902, bur. Coesse Hope Lutheran Cemetery, Union Twp.,
Whitley Co., IN26,45
10.John Marion TUCKER b. 15 Oct. 184914 OH; never married; living 1910
Whitley Co., IN35
Richard W. TUCKER and Susanna WINDLE had children:
1. Martha Elizabeth TUCKER24,38,40 b. 1137 Jan. 185843 Whitley Co., IN;
m. 25 Jan. 188017 William Henry ZIMMERMAN;17 d. 8 Apr. 1926
Las Animas, Bent Co., Colo.;37 bur. Las Animas Cem.48
2. William J. TUCKER38 b. ca. 185938 Whitley Co., IN; d. 186038-187024
3. Ida Emily TUCKER24,39 b. ca. 186239 Whitley Co., IN; m. Jesse S. ENGLE
7 Sep. 1882;17 d. ca. 188841 Whitley Co., IN
4. Lavinia Rhoda Jane TUCKER24,39,40 b. 6 Oct. 186841,49 Whitley Co., IN;
m. Charles R. RICHEY 31 Oct. 1892;17 d. 26 Nov. 1913;41,49 Kendallville,
Noble Co., IN;49 bur. Lake View Cem., Kendallville, Noble Co., IN42,49
1. 1830 Richland Co., OH census, Auburn Twp, p. 86.
Richard age 60-70; female [Rachel] age 60-70.
2. 1810 Hampshire Co., VA census, p. 766.
Richard age over 45
3. Hampshire Co., VA 1803 Lower District personal property tax list, p. 36,
FHL microfilm 2,024,570.
4. Hampshire Co., VA 1828A Lower District personal property tax list, p. 14,
FHL microfilm 2,024,572.
5. Richland Co., OH deeds 18:169-170, FHL microfilm 0,386,089.
6. Richland Co., OH deeds 21:621-623, FHL microfilm 0,386,090
Rachel Tucker released rights in land in #5, and John H. Tucker and wife
Martha sold one undivided half of the same tract to Hosea Tucker.
John H. Tucker gave bond to Hosea Tucker to keep him indemnified from
all claims of Mary Tucker regarding her interest in the same tract.
7. Frederick Co., MD 1778-1797 marriages licenses, p. 24, FHL microfilm
8. 1860 Richland Co., OH census, John Tucker age 22 (sic, 72), p. 334
9. Richland Co., OH marriage record 3:237, FHL microfilm 0,388,736
John Tucker to Martha Connley.
10. John Simmons, 1850 Richland Co., OH census, p. 465.
John H. Tucker's oldest child, daughhter Ellen Simmons age 39.
11. John H. Tucker household, 1850 Richland Co., OH census, p. 269.
[Sister Mary Tucker age 58, idiotic]
12. John H. Tucker administration, Richland Co., OH administration index 2:91.
13. Richland Co., OH Common Pleas Chancery Record 4:448-450, FHL microfilm
Mary insame from infancy. Age 48 at April 1841 court term.
14. Albert Tucker, Union Pension File 377,879, Co. K, 139 Reg., Indiana Vol.,
His file contains a copy of the Family Record of Hosey Tucker, with
a letter from William N. Tucker (File 794,872) that "you made a mistake
by informing the pension department that I had the famley Bible record
thare never was any famley Bible record kept of our famley the old famley
Bible had no Blank pages for keeping any on. the famley record was kept
on a common sheet of writing paper and was laid loos in the Bible for
safe keeping until I and our mothe[r] took it out of the Bible and
brought it to Illinois June 1886.
15. Whitley Co., Indiana marriage record 1, June 1847-Apr. 1860, p. 80,
FHL microfilm 1,710,719
John Showalter to Lucinda Tucker (1851)
16. Whitley Co., Indiana marriage records, FHL microfilm 1,710,720
1:205 John Showalter to Lucinda Tucker (1855)
1:245 Isaiah Smith to Rachel Tucker
1:296 Richard Tucker to Susan Windell
1:316 William N. Tucker to Rachael Windel
2A:187 James Jones to Lucinda Showalter
2A:243 Henry Graves to Elmina Tucker
2A:275 Isaiah Smith to Sarah TuckerSmith-Tucker, Sarah
17. Whitley Co., Indiana marriage records, FHL microfilm 1,710,721.
3:231 William Zimmerman to Martha Tucker
3:486 Jesse S. Engle to Ida E. Tucker
5:143 Charles R. Richey to Lavina R. Tucker
18. Richland County Chapter Ohio Genealogical Society, "The Western
Sentinel and Richland County Weekly Advertiser," Pastfinder,
10 (Oct.-Dec. 1991), p. 63.
19. William N. Tucker, Union Pension File 794,872, Co. B, 74th Regt. Ind.
Vol. Infantry, National Archives.
20. Whiteside Co., IL Obituaries, William N. Tucker obituary.
21. 1870 Whitley Co., Indiana census, James Jones household, p. 439.
22. Catherine Tucker household, 1860 Whitley Co., Indiana census, p. 745.
Isaiah Smith in household, Rachel is not.
23. One year before age of 5 given for daughter Rhoda in #24, and age of
15 in #39 (as Jane).
24. 1870 Whitley Co., Ind. census, Susan Tucker household, p. 463.
25. Declaration for pension dated 2 April 1907 in #14.
26. Genealogical Society of Whitley County, Indiana.
Coesse Hope Lutheran Cemetery, Union Twp., Whitley Co., Ind.
27. Letter 14 April 1977 from Whitley Co., Indiana Health Department,
Columbia City, Indiana.
28. Allen Co., Indiana marriage record 6, p. 196.
29. Allen Co., Indiana marriage record 19p. 547.
30. Jayne Kennedy Sweger, Marriages in Whiteside County, Illinois 1856-1881
3000 Marriage Notices Extracted From Early County Newspapers, p. 92 [image 93].
31. Clinton Co., Iowa marriage register 2:347, #8092, FHL microfilm
32. William N. Tucker headstone Oakridge Cem., Albany, Whiteside Co., IL.
33. Morrison Chapter NSDAR Cemetery Records: Western Half of Whiteside
County, Illinois, Fenton Cemetery, p. 6.
34. Genealogical Society of Whitley County, Indiana.
Garrison Cemetery, Smith Twp., Whitley Co., Ind.
35. 1910 Whitley Co., Indiana census, p. 166A.
36. Whitely Co., Indiana Probate Order Book A:224, FHL microfilm 1,710,463.
37. Martha Zimmerman obituary, Bent County Democrat, Las Animas,
Colorado, 14 April 1926. [birth given as 11 Jan. 1855]
38. 1860 Whitley Co., Ind. census, Richard Tucker household, p. 753.
39. 1880 Whitley Co., Ind. census, Susan Tucker household, p. 380A.
40. Susannah Tucker obituary, unknown newspaper, unknown date, probably
a Kendallville, Ind. newspaper as Levina "Ritchie" was called "of
41. Letter Alma (Sell) Bair to Fredric Z. Saunders, Oct. 1975. Alma
was a granddaughter of Ida, and stated Ida died when her (Alma's) mother
(born 10 Dec. 1883) was age 4.
42. Lavinia R. Richey headstone, Lake View Cem., Kendallville, Noble Co., Ind.
43. William H. Zimmerman household, 1900 Bent Co., Colorado census, p. 289B.
44. Illinois Statewide Marriage Index.
45. Almina Graves headstone Coesse Hope Lutheran Cemetery, Columbia City, Whitley Co., Ind.
46. Albert Tucker headstone Coesse Hope Lutheran Cemetery, Columbia City, Whitley Co., Ind.
47. Martha A. Tucker Showalter headstone Fenton Cemetery, Fenton, Whiteside Co., Ill.
48. Martha Elizabeth Zimmerman headstone Las Animas Cem., Las Animas, Bent Co., Colorado.
49. Lavina R. Richey death certificate, "Indiana Death Certificates 1899-2011", Ancestry.com
50. Robert Albert Tucker death certificate, "Indiana Death Certificates 1899-2011", Ancestry.com
51. Sarah Anna Smith, death certificate, "Indiana Death Certificates 1899-2011", Ancestry.com
This page accessed times.
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 4 June 2016