Mr. TENNIS/TENNISON had children:
1. John TENNISON b. ca. 16281 Holland;2 m. Elizabeth, d. Jan. 1682/3
St. Mary's Co., MD3
2. Justinian TENNISON born ca. 16295 Weymouth4 or Yarmouth,2 England; m.
Katherine GRESHAM;6 d. between 23 Jan.7 (or Feb.)8 and 8 July 1699 Charles.
That Justinian, brother of John, and Justinian, son of John both died about
1699 has caused confusion for some researchers. Justinian, brother of John
died testate in Charles County. He made his wife (not named) his executrix.
That she was Katherine was shown in that in July 1699 in Charles County
the will of Justinian TENNIS was proved by the three witnesses, and Katherine
TENNIS, executrix, posted testamentary bond of 60 pounds sterling with
Thomas CLAXON and Thomas SIMSON as security.9
Justinian, son of John died ca. 1699 in St. Mary's County. In May 1699
in St. Mary's County Eliza: TENNISON posted administrative bond of 150
pounds with John SHANKES and Danl: HENLY as security.10
John TENNISON and Elizabeth had children:
1. John11 TENNISON d. before 170012
2. Mary11 TENNISON m. William CHESHIRE11
3. Matthew11 TENNISON
4. Justinian11 TENNISON m. Elizabeth SHANKS;13 d. ca. 1699 St. Mary's Co., MD10
5. Absolom11 TENNISON
Justinian TENNIS the elder was in Northumberland Co., VA by 1650, at which
time John MOTTROM patented 250 acres who had the rights on assignment from
Justinian TENNIS who transported 5 persons into the colony.14 Justinian TENNIS
is last found in Northumberland Co. on 10 April 1666 when he was appointed
a constable.15 In Sep. 1668 Justinian DENNIS of St. Mary's Co., MD demanded
a warrant for 350 acres for having transported himself, Katherine his wife,
Jane/Jean (spelled both ways), Barbara, Justinian, and Mary his children
and William SOMERSETT his servant into the province.16
Justinian TENNISON (TENNIS) and wife Katherine GRESHAM had children:
1. Jane16 TENNISON b. say 1657 Northumberland Co., VA;17 m. Vincent MANSELL/MANSFIELD18
d. between 22 June 168719 and 18 Jan. 1687/8 St. Mary's Co., MD18
2. Barbara7,8,16 TENNISON b. say 1660 Northumberland Co., VA;17 m. Oliver BURCH;20,21
died between 16 Aug. 172934 and 14 June 174335 Charles Co., MD
3. Justinian16 TENNISON b. say 1663 Northumberland Co., VA;17 never married
died 15 July 1686 St. Mary's Co., MD26
4. Mary TENNISON7,8,16 b. say 1666 Northumberland Co., VA;17 She
did NOT marry George DEMENT/DIAMOND. His wife was Mary, eldest daughter of
5. John7,8 TENNISON b. say 1668 Charles Co., MD;17 m. Sarah24 LEMASTER;23
d. between 12 Apr. 174324 and 24 July 174525 Charles Co., MD
6. Catherine7,8 TENNISON b. say 1670 Charles Co. MD;17 m. John SCOTT;21,27 living
19 Apr. 172528
7. Tracie7,8 TENNISON b. say 1672 Charles Co., MD;17 m. Abraham PRICE36
8. Elizabeth7,8 TENNISON b. say 1674 Charles Co., MD;17 m. James WILLIAMS;27,30
living 27 Aug. 172429
9. Sarah7,8 TENNISON b. say 1676 Charles Co., MD;17 possibly m. John NOE33
10. Christian7,8,32 TENNISON b. say 1678;17 m.1. Samuel COOKSEY;30,31
m.2. John LEMASTER;20,27,31 d. spring 1759 Charles Co., MD32
1. Archives of Maryland 10:289.
2. Charles Co., MD land records H2:366, FHL microfilm 0,013,753.
3. Archives of Maryland 17:132.
4. Charles Co., MD land records H2:415, FHL microfilm 0,013,753.
5. Source 2 shows Justinian was younger than John. Source 14, shows
Justinian was of age in 1650.
6. Northumberland Co., VA 1652-1665 Court Order Book:126 (bottom #'s)
FHL microfilm 32648.
7. Gustinian Tennis will, Maryland wills 6:252-253 [image 256 of 423].
8. Gustenein Tennis Will Charles Co., MD wills A2:222-223,
FHL microfilm 13761.
Gustenein Tennis will transcription.
9. Justinian Tennis Testamentary Bond, MD Testamentary Proceedings 17:347.
10. Justinian Tennison Administration Bond, MD Testamentary Proceedings 17:293.
11. John Tennison will, MD wills 4:16-17 [image 18 of 328].
12. John Tennison administration, MD Testatmentary Proceedings 18B:21.
13. John Shanks will, MD wills 4:91-92 [image 93 of 328].
14. Beverly Fleet, Virginia Colonial Abstracts, (Baltimore:
Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1988), 1:390.
15. Northumberland Co., VA 1652-1665 court order book:437 (bottoms #'s),
FHL microfilm 0,032,648.
16. MD Patents 11: 526, FHL microfilm 0,013,068.
17. Date estimates from record 16 and residences before and after that time.
18. Vincent Mansell and Justinian Tennison, Junr. administrations,
Maryland Testamentary Proceedings 14:37-38.
19. Justinian Tennison, Junr. and Vincent Mansell administration bonds,
Maryland Tesatmentary Proceedings 13:490, 492-493.
20. Charles Co., MD land records Z3:5, FHL microfilm 0,013,758. 1782 Deposition
of Susannah (Burch) Smallwood, daughter of Justinian Burch [son of
Oliver], showed that her father's aunt was Christian [Tennison]
21. Henry C. Peden, Jr. Maryland Deponents 1634-1776, (Westminster,
MD: 3:38 quoting CCLR M3:354. Deposition of Thomas Burch [son of Oliver]
in 1763 mentioned his "uncle John Scott" [John Scott married Katherine
Tennison, see #27].
22. Charles Co., MD land records, D2:15-16, FHL microfilm 0,013,752.
23. Abraham Lemaster will, Charles Co., MD Wills 3:163-164.
24. Charles Co., MD land records O2:541-542, FHL microfilm 0,013,754.
25. Charles Co., MD land records Z2:67-69, FHL microfilm 0,013,754.
[John's widow] Sarah Tennison, to live for her natural life on land
sold by her sons, without being put to her "third part" [dower].
26. Justinian Tennison Junr. inventory, MD inventories and accounts 9:341-342.
27. James Williams inventory, MD inventories 9:340-341.
John Lemaster [who married Christain Tennison] and John Scott
[who married Katherine Tennison] signed as next of kin to inventory
of James Williams [who married Elizabeth Tennison].
28. John Scott, Sr. inventory, MD inventories 10:347-350.
29. James Williams account, MD accounts 6:122-123.
30. Samuel Cooks[ey] inventory, MD inventories and accounts 29:245-246.
James Williams signed inventory (as kin?).
31. Samuel Cooksey account, MD inventories and accounts, 32B:267-268.
32. Charles Co., MD land records Z3:3, FHL microfilm 0,013,758, William Simpson
33. Ralph D. Smith, The Tennison Family of Southern Maryland, (Daytona
Beach, FL: by author, 1997), 106-107.
34. Oliver Burch inventory, MD Inventories 15:76-78.
35. Charles Co., MD deeds X2:20-22, FHL microfilm 0,013,754.
Justinian Burch sold 158 acres, reserving 1 acre, part of Lumbly where
"his father and mother is enterred for a graveyard or Burying Place."
36. Evidence that his daughter Tracie married Abraham Price includes:
a) Maryland Testamnentary Proceedings 14:49.
Justinian Tennison, Senr. was the administrator of both Vincent Mansell
his son-in-law] and Justinian Tennison, Junr. [his son] on 6 March 1687
 with Oliver Burch and Abraham Price as his securities.
b) Clement Haly will, Maryland Wills 7:43-45 [image 48 of 412].
In the will, written 4 Jan. 1694 in St. Mary's County and probated
23 Jan. 1694, he left to Tracy Price, wife of Abraham Price, 400 pounds
This page accessed times.
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 9 Jan. 2015