George SMIRL was in Westmoreland Co., PA as early as 1775.1 He served there in
the Revolutionary War.29 He sold his land in 1788,2 and appeared in the 1789 Bourbon Co., KY
tax list, and continued to appear through 1793.3 He later owned land in Pendleton Co., KY,
which he sold in 1803.4
The 1794 Bourbon tax list is missing, and he does not appear in later Bourbon County lists.
In 1793 Harrison County was formed from Bourbon and Scott Counties, and George perhaps lived
in that part of Bourbon County that became Harrison County. His daughter Martha was married
in 1794 in Harrison County to James Stuart, but George is not found in any Harrison County
In 1797 and 1798 he appeared in Campbell County with 75 acres of land on South Licking as
George Smirrel.14 This became part of Pendleton County where he appeared in 1799 as
George Smyrl. In 1800 he was listed as William Smirl, Senr., along with William Smirl, Junr.
In 1801-1803 he appeared in Pendleton County as George Smyrl, Smerl and Smurn with George Smyrl, Jun.
who also appeared in the 1801 list.15
On an 1804 delinquint tax list it was stated he had moved to "Spain"5 [Missouri],
where he lived in St. Louis Co., and what was later Jefferson Co., MO. He received two grants,
the first of which was surveyed 11 Jan. 1806 for 320 arpens. The chain carriers were George
Smith, Junr. [sic, probably Smirl] and John Smirl.31 The second was surveyed 13 Jan. 1806
for George Smirl, assingnee of Gabriel Dodur assignee of Wm. Drinen, assignee of James
Smirl for 847 acres.32 George was living in 1813.6
Biographical information on George SMIRL.
He married Mary who was living in 1820.7
1. Jane28 SMIRL b. say 1771;8 m.bond John STUARD [STUART/STEWART]
19 Dec. 1791;9 m.2. (Israel?) GABLE;10 living in 182610
2. Martha28 SMIRL b. say 1774; m.bond James STEWART [STUART] 2 Sep. 179411
3. William6,28 SMIRL b. say 1777;3 m. 29 May 1800 Abigail ALEXANDER;12 living
4. George28 SMIRL b. say 1780;15 living 180616
5. John28 SMIRL b. say 1783; d. ca. 1826 Jefferson Co., MO17
6. James7,28 C. SMIRL b. say 1785; m. Louisa J. JOHNSTON;30 d. between 28 July13
and 11 Sep. 1821 Knox Co., IN18
7. Elizabeth28 SMIRL b. ca. 1787; m. George ATCHISON, Jr. 22 Nov. 1807;19
?(d. 2 Sep. 187320 St. Clair Co., IL)?
8. Thomas28 SMIRL b. say 1788; living 181221
9. Nancy28 SMIRL b. ca. 1790 KY;22 m. John HERRINGTON;23 d. between 1 June
186024 and 19 Feb. 186325 Jefferson Co., MO
Either George, John, or Thomas married Elizabeth LINDSEY26 by ca. 1814.27
1. "Westmoreland Co., PA Civil Court Docket, Jan. Term 1775," Old
Westmoreland, Vol. II, (No. 3, Feb. 1982), 23.
2. Westmoreland Co., PA deeds D:39-40, FHL microfilm 0,929,166.
3. Bourbon Co., KY personal property tax lists, FHL microfilm 0,007,879.
George Smerl 1789, p. 8.
George Smirl 1789, p. 9.
George Smirl 1790, p. 7.
George Smerl 1791, p. 7.
George Smyrl 1792, p. 13.
George Smirl 1793, p. 18.
George SMIRL had male 16-21 in addition to male over 21 in 1793.
4. Pendleton Co., KY deeds B:26-27, FHL microfilm 0,272,782.
5. Pendleton Co., KY 1799-1805 order book, p. 261.
6. St. Louis Co., MO deed book D:423, FHL microfilm 0,529,939. William
obligated himself to maintain George Smirl, Sr. and wife Mary decently
as becomes a son.
7. James C. Smirl will, Knox Co., Ind. wills A:127-129.
James left $200 to his mother Mary lving in Jefferson Co., MO.
8. Estimate from marriage date.
9. Bourbon Co., KY marriage bonds.
John Stuard-Jane Smirl. Bondsman: Georg Smirl
10. John Stuart probate file, 1820, Washington Co., MO probate file #12,
Washington Co., MO courthouse.
11. Harrison Co., KY marriage bonds.
#43 James Stewart-Martha Smirl. Bondsman: Georg Smirl.
12. Pendleton Co., KY 1799-1849 marriage record, p. 1.
William Smirl-Abigal Alexander
13. Jefferson Co., MO deeds A:692-697, FHL microfilm 0,965,020.
14. Campbell Co., KY persona property tax lists.
George Smirrel 1797, p. 7.
George Smirrel 1798, p. 12.
15. Pendleton Co., KY 1801 personal property tax list.
George Smyrl, 1799, p. 7.
William Smirl, Senr, and William Smirl, Junr., 1800, p. 7.
George Smyrl and George Smyrl, Jur. 1801, pp.7-8.
George Smerl, 1802, p. 6.
George Smurn, 1803, p. 10.
16. U.S. Congress, American State Papers, (Washington: Gales and
Seaton, 1834) 29:569.
17. John Smirl probate file #451, Jefferson Co., MO courthouse.
18. Knox Co., Ind. deeds C:252-253, FHL microfilm 0,007,769. Louisa alone
purchased land. Her husband's will was probated one month later.
19. St. Clair Co., IL marriage record A:unpaginated, marriage 12, FHL
microfilm 1,689,026, item 2.
20. Letter 4 June 1985 from Lucina Denman of Salt Lake City, UT to
Fredric Z. Saunders, held by Saunders. Denman quotes an obituary notice
from the 5 Sep. 1873 issue of Weekly Advocate, Belleview, IL of Mrs.
Elizabeth Atchison, nee Smothers, born in Kentucky, age 86 died 2 Sep.
1873 at the home of her so Uen. It is uncertain if this is Elizabeth
(Smirl) Atchison with the incorrect maiden name given in the obituary,
or perhaps a second wife of George Atchison. If so, Elizabeth Smirl
died before about 1820 when Uen was born.
21. St. Louis Co., MO deeds D:94, FHL microfilm 0,529,939. Thomas Smirl
sold his rights in 160 acres "obtained from my father in the year 1809
by virtue of his will." Thomas acknowledged the deed as his voluntary act,
and "George Smirl Esqr. father of the above named Thomas Smirl" appeared
and acknowldged he had willed the land to his son. No record of the
will has been found.
22. 1850 Jefferson Co., MO census, John Herrington household, p. 420B.
23. Letter 18 Apr. 1980 from Ruth McColloch (1906- ) of Potosi, MO to
Fredric Z. Saunders, held by Saunders. Information was given to Ruth by
her aunt Rosetta "Rosie" McColloch (1890-1964) that Ruth believed was
from the family Bible (location unknown) of Perlina (Herrington) McColloch
that Perlina's father Joshua was the son of John Herrington and Nancy
24. 1860 Jefferson Co., MO census, Jno. Herrington household, p. 523.
25. John Herrington original will, probate file #711, Jefferson Co., MO
26. James Lindsey will, Pulaski Co. Ark. wills A:37-39.
27. Lawrence Co., Ark. Circuit Ct. Bk. 2: 40, 63-64, FHL microfilm 1,290,743.
George L. and Perry G. M. Smirls inherited their mother's share of James
Lindsey's estate. From 1850 Franklin Co. MO census Perry was born about
28. Direct evidence is found for only three of the children of George and Mary,
those being William in #6, and James C. in #7, and Thomas in 21. Evidence
connecting the other children to George are:
a) Georg Smirl signed as bondsman for marriage of Jane Smirl in #9.
b) Georg Smirl signed as bondsman for marriage of Martha Smirl in #11.
c) George Smyrl Junr. appeared in Pendleton Co., KY with George Sr. in #15.
d) George Smirl Junr. testified to land claim of James Stewart (probably
his brother-in-law) in #16.
e) Clarence Edwin Carter, The Territorial Papers of the Unites States,
(Washington: U. S. Government Printing Office, 1948), XIII: 342-344. [image 354 of 652].
Among a group of 81 men (neighbors) signing section 16 of the
Wilkinson Memorial in 1805 were James (x) Stuert, Georg Smirl, thomas
Smirl, John Smirl, John Stewart, John (x) herington.
f) George Smirl court case number 1825, (1811), St. Clair Co., IL,
Illinois State Archives, Springfield, IL. Note due to George placed
him in St. Clair Co. on 30 Mar. 1808, where Elizabeth married 4
g) John Herrington was administrator for John Smirl in #17, and purchased
most of the few items from his estate.
h) Jefferson Co. MO 1822-1838 probate book, p. 49.
John Herrington, adm. of John Smirl charged for two months care of
the deceased before his death, implying John Smirl was living with him.
Property of John Smirl included a note of $100.00 payable to George
Smirl from Ephraim Connor and assigned by said George to John.
29. Pennsylvania Archives 3rd Ser., Vol. 23, p. 335 [image 340 of 834].
30. Jefferson Co., MO chancery records 1:69.
8 Mar. 1836, Louisa, wife of William Rice is an heir of Benjamin Johnston.
JoDaviess Co., IL marriages 1830-1840 book, FHL microfilm 1,602,649, item 4.
24 Dec. 1834 William Rice m. Mrs. Louisa Duncan [p. 67]
13 Dec. 1832 Enoch Duncan m. Louisa J. Holmes [p. 57]
Knox Co., Ind., deeds C:177, FHL microfilm 0,007.769.
4 June 1823 "Rowland R. Holmes and Louisa his wife (formerly Louisa
Smirl), widow of James C. Smirl, decd." sold land.
31. Territory of Louisiana Record of Titles kept at St. Louis, Record Book B:222.
32. Territory of Louisiana Record of Titles kept at St. Louis, Record Book B:351.
This page accessed times.
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 30 July 2016