If you are a male SHICK, SHEEK, or SHEEKS descended from this family, to date no one
has DNA tested from this line. If you are interested in testing, and in knowing how DNA
may help identify earlier generations, please contact me.
Christian SHICK was in Berks County, PA by 2 January 1753 when he had a warrant for 75 acres
of land in Maxataway Township.41 Part of the land (34 1/2 acres) was surveyed in 1811 for
Henry Ludwig in Longswamp Township.42 Another 35.8 acres was surveyed in 1828 for Henry
Meitler in Longswamp Township.43
Some reserachers believed he was the Christian Scheitt who arrived in Philadelphia on
10 Sep. 1753 on the ship "Beulah."44 As he had a land warrant on 1 Jan. 1753,
he could not be the person who arrived in September 1753.
Christian SCHICK/SHEEK living 14 Aug. 1797;1 married Catharina Rosina2
who was living 1824 Wayne Co., KY3
They had children:
1. Christian SHICK b. 24 Apr. 1756 PA;4 m. Mary4 (BACHMAN)5,38 SHAFER6;
d. 9 Feb. 1829;4 bur. Christ Church Cem., Stone Church,
Upper Mt. Bethel Twp., Northampton Co., PA4
2. Johan Adam SHEEK b. 9 Mar. 17617 Richmond Twp., Berks Co.,
PA;2 m. Susanna7 MOULDER/MOLER;8 d. 28 June 18327,17 Rowan (now Davie)
3. Magadelena SCHICK b. 11 Feb. 1765 Richmond Twp., Berks Co., PA2
4. Maria SHEEKS b. 24 May 1767 Richmond Twp., Berks Co., PA;2 m.bond
4 Feb. 17869 Martin BRIDGEFARMER9 (BRÜCKBAUER)10; d. 3 Oct. 185811 KY?
5. Georg David SHEEKS b. 11 Aug. 1769 Richmond Twp., Berks Co.,
PA;2 m.bond Elizabeth HOWARD 18 Jan. 1790;9 died between
9 July 1836 and 4 Sep. 1837 Obion Co., TN12
6. Fridrich SCHICK b. 1 Mar. 1772 Richmond Twp., Berks Co., PA2
7. George3 SHEEKS b. 113/1132 [calculated] June 1774;13 m. Elizabeth CANOTE37
6 Feb. 1800;13,36 d. 30 Jan. 1843,13,32 bur. Sheeks Cem.,32 near Mitchell,
Lawrence Co., Indiana14
8. Catherine3 SHEEKS b. say 1776; m.1 Henry BUTLER;15 m.2.bond John
TURNER15,28 9 Sep. 1805;16 d. 1842 Fannin Co., TX39
The descendants of Christian, Jr. generally use the surname SHICK, those of Adam
usually use SHEEK, and those of David and George usually SHEEKS.
Adam SHEEK and Susanna MOULDER had children born in Rowan (now) Davie
1. Sarah "Sally" SHEEK b. 12 Nov. 1785;7,17 m. William SAUNDERS;19 d. 21 Sep.
186717 Davie Co., NC20
2. George SHEEK b. 26 Oct. 1787;7,17,18,40 m.bond.1 Margaret "Peggy" CALL
22 Nov. 1809;21 m.2 Mary22,35 "Polly"30 (MOCK)21,30,35 RIDDLE22,35 3 Apr. 1841;22
m.3. Elizabeth (-?-) CARVER 8 Nov. 1848;22 widow of Joseph CARVER31
d. 1218,40/1317 Mar. 1867 bur. Macedonia Moravian God's Acre Cem.,
Davie Co., NC18,40
3. Christian SHEEK b. 15 Jan. 1790;7,17 m.bond.1 Caty JONES 1 May 1811;21
m.2. Elizbeth ALLEN 23 May 1849;22 m.3.bond Elizabeth PENDRY
12 Jan. 1860;24 d. 23 Nov. 186817 Yadkin Co., NC23
4. John SHEEK b. 47,17/610 Sep. 1792; m.1. prior to 1822 Nancy;25
m.2.bond Winney HARRISON 14 Feb. 1829;21 d. 11 Oct. 186917
or 1872 (year only given);18 bur. Smith Grove United Methodist
Church Cem., Davie Co., NC18
5. Jacob SHEEK b. 4 June 1795;7,17,18,34 m.bond.1. Sarah SAIN 8 Oct. 1817;21
d. 13 June 1884;17,18,34 bur. Smith Grove United Methodist Church Cem.,
Davie Co., NC18,34
6. William SHEEK b. 3 Mar. 1798;7,17,18,33 never married; d. 17 Feb. 1840;17,18,33
bur. Whitaker Meeting House Church Cem., Davie Co., NC18,33
7. Adam SHEEK b. 24 Oct. 1801;7,17 m.bond.1 Jemima (nee SPARKS)21 FULTS21
12 Sep. 1823;21 m.2. Charlotte (nee COLLIER) GOODNIGHT DAUGHERTY26
14 Dec. 1852;26 d. 1895/6 TX29
8. Mary "Polly"7,17 SHEEK b. 1 June 1804;7,17 m.bond Solomon M. WINCHELL 17 Mar.
1821;21 d. 25 Mar. 1864;27 bur. Foutch Cem., Isabel Twp., Fulton Co., IL27
9. Daniel SHEEK b. 12 June 1807;7,17 d. Feb. 182217 [now] Davie Co., NC
1. Surry Co., NC deeds G:91-92.
2. Moselem Zions Lutheran Church Churchbook, Richmond Twp., Berks Co., PA,
unpaginaed, FHL microfilm 0,021,546.
Note: Published records incorrectly list her name as Martha Rosina for
the baptism of Magdalena in 1765. The original church book [in German]
gives her name as Catharina Rosina. The only other listing of her first
name is in 1768 as a sponsor, also Catharina Rosina. All other records
list her only by her "call name" Rosina.
3. Letter "David Sheeks and Elizabeth Sheeks and family," Wayne Co., TN to
John Sheeks, Mocksville, Rowan Co., NC, 1 June 1824, Jacob Sheek and
Jonathan Smith Papers, Collection #4765, Manuscript Department, Perkins
Library, Duke University, Durham, NC.
4. Christian Schick headstone, Old Union (a/k/a Christ Church, a/k/a Stone
Church) Cem., Northampton Co.., PA
5. John Bachman will, Northampton Co., PA wills 5:88-89, FHL microfilm
6. Christian Shick will, Northampton Co., PA wills 5:195-196, FHL microfilm
0,946,458. Names "step-son" Samuel Shafer.
7. Sheek Family Record, Sheek and Smith Papers, Durham, NC. Entries through
1798 appear to have been written at the same time. Following entries appear
to have been written at different times. If you would a scan of that document,
8. Letter Jacob Moulder, Orange Co., IN to "Adam Sheeks or sons," "Mauksville
or Mauks Old Fields, Roan [Rowan], Co.," NC, 2 Oct. 1836. Salutation
is "Dear Brother and Sister." Mentioned deaths of "mother" and of "Brother
Valentine," ["Felty"] and Letter Jacob Sheek written while visting
relatives from "Cammel" [Campbell] Co., TN to [wife] "Sary Sheek,"
"Smithgrove, Davie Co., N.C.," 9 Sep. 1838 mentioned "uncle Felty Molder,"
and "Uncle Henry Molder," Sheek and Smith Papers, Durham, NC.
9. Surry Co., NC marriage bonds.
Martin Bridgefarmer-Mary Sheak, Bondsman: Samuel Mosley, FHL microfilm 0,546,468.
David Sheeks-Elizabith Howard, Bondsman: Martin Bridgefarmer, FHL microfilm 0,546,473.
10. Jo White Linn, "Records of Heidelberg Evangelical Lutheran (Old
Dutchmans Creek) Church," Rowan County Register, 4 (August 1989):865.
11. Letter Debbie Welborn Curtis, Fenton, MO to Fredric Z. Saunders,
17 June 1986. Curtis cites Bible of Martin and Maria's grandson Dr.
George Washington Bridgefarmer, (1856-1926) in possession of Mrs.
Merle Tamplin, Gainsville, TX.
12. David Sheeks will and testamentary bond, Obion Co., TN 1834-1838
Will Book, pp. 261-262, pp. 270-274, FHL microfilm 1,007,256.
13. David L. Sheeks, Genealogy of the Sheeks Family from 1774,
1894, later supplemented by his daughter Mrs. George Fields.
14. George Sheek administration, Lawrence Co., IN probate order book
B:424, FHL microfilm 1,317,597.
15. Louise Gillespie Lynch, Miscellaneous Records, Williamson County,
Tennessee, (Franklin TN: by author, 1978), 2:41-42. Note:
spelled Cheeks. See #28 which confirms this is actually Sheeks.
16. Wayne Co., KY 1801-1813 marriage bonds, p. 105.
17. Adam Sheek Bible Transcription, McCubbin's Collection, Sheek File,
Rowan Public Libraray, Salisbury, NC, FHL microfilm 0,019,891.
Bible [publication not given] was owned by John Wiley Sheek (1863-1949)
of Smith Grove, NC.
18. Davie County Historical and Genealogical Society, Davie County
Cemeteries, (Mocksville, NC: by author, 1998). Note: John listed
as 1872 is not found in the 1870 census.
19. Rowan Co., NC deeds 32:487-488.
20. Sallie Saunders estate file (1871), Davie County, NC loose estate papers,
NC State Archives, FHL microfilm 1,954,913, frames 1072-1076.
21. Rowan Co., NC marriage bonds.
George Sheek-Peggy Call, Bondsman: Jacob Call. FHL microfilm 0,500,956.
John Riddle-Polly Mock, 28 Nov. 1820, Bondsman: Solomon Ellrod, FHL microfilm 0,500,955.
Christian Sheek-Caty Jones, Bondsman: William Sanders, FHL microfilm 0,500,956
John Sheek-Winny Harrison, Bondsman: David Harbin, FHL microfilm 0,500,956.
Jacob Sheek-Sally Sain, Bondsman: Benjamin Taylor, FHL microfilm 0,500,956.
Adam Sheek-Jemiah Fultz, Bondsman: James Ellis, Jr., FHL microfilm 0,500,956.
Daniel Fults-Jamima Sparks, 2 Sep. 1816, Bondsman: James Orrell, FHL microfilm 0,500,952.
Solomon Winchell-Mary Sheek, Bondsman: John Sheek, FHL microfilm 0,500,957.
22. Nancy K. Murphy, Davie County Marriages 1836-1900, (Mocksville, NC:
Davie County Historical and Genealogical Society, 1998).
23. Christian Sheek will, Yadkin Co., NC original wills, NC State Archives,
FHL microfilm 1,605,076, frames 155-159.
Recorded copy, Book 2:9.
24. North Carolina Division of Archives and History, An Index to Marriage
Bonds Filed in the North Carolina State Archives,, FHL microfiche
25. Rowan Co., NC deeds 27:346-347.
26. McLennan Co., TX marriage record 1, p. 4.
27. Mary Winchell headstone, Foutch Cem., Isabel Twp., Fulton Co.., Illinois.
28. Letter Adam Sheek, [Jr.], Henry Co., TN to "brother" William Sheek,
Mocksville, Rowan Co., NC, 15 Apr. 1832, Sheek and Smith Papers, Durham,
NC. "Mr. Thomas Butler told me that Uncle John Turner has removed to
Tennessee near town of Franklin and that his negr fellow has kiled
him with an axe about eight or ten months ago." [Note: actually died
6 Oct. 1830. See #15.]
29. J. Evetts Haley notes, [biographer of Charles Goodnight] with Silas
Sheek [son of Adam, Jr. and Charlotte] was that Adam died at age 94.
30. Henry Mock file, Davie County, North Carolina estate files, North
Carolina State Archives, FHL microfilm 1,954,909, frames 672-721.
[frame 698 for heir Mary Sheeks] (Image 27 of 50 at above site.)
Note: Henry Mock is the husband of
31. Joseph Carver file, Stokes County, North Carolina estate files, North
Carolina State Archives, FHL microfilm 2,200,498, frames 1106-1138.
32. George Sheeks headstone, Sheeks Cemetery, Lawrence Co., Indiana.
33. William Sheek headstone, Whitaker Meeting House Church Cemetery, Davie Co., NC.
34. Jacob Sheek headstone, Smith Grove Methodist Church Cemetery, Davie Co., NC.
35. Davie Co., NC Deed Book 1:354, FHL microfilm 0,572,593.
In April 1841 George Sheek and wife Mary sold to Wiley (J.?) Riddle, all
their right in the estate of John Riddle, deceased, Mary being the former
wife of said John Riddle and now the wife of George Sheek. The sale also
included their interest in a Negro girl Mary and her increase, advanced to
said Mary Riddle, now Sheek, by her father Henry Mock.
36. George Sheaks to Elizabeth Kanotes marriage return, Madison Co., KY.
37. George Sheaks (signed Sheeks) to Elizabeth Kanoats, marriage bond, Madison Co., KY,
James Anderson bondsman.
38. Christian Bachman estate Northampton Co., PA Orphans' Court Minutes E:72.
39. Fannin County, Texas, Probate Minutes A, p. 208, FHL Microfilm 1293839, Item 2.
Monday 30 May 1842
Letters of Administration on the Estate of Catherine Turner Decd were this day
granted & issued to John F. Hunter he having entered into bond in accordance with
law. Appraisers appointed: Wm. Martin, Jesse Stiff, L. B. Hill.
40. George Sheek headstone, Macedonia Moravian God's Acre,
Advance, Davie Co., NC.
41. Pennsylvania Warrant Register, Berks County, p. 80, #31..
42. Pennsylvania Copied Surveys, Volume C-232, p. 8.
43. Pennsylvania Copied Surveys, Volume C-198, p. 248.
44. I Daniel Rupp, A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of
German, Swiss, Dutch, French and other Immigrants in Pennsylvania from
1727 to 1776, (Philadelphia: Leary, Stuart & Co., 1898), p. 299-301
This page accessed times.
Page created by: email@example.com
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 8 Nov. 2015