In 2011 a descendant of Bartholomew Herrington through his son John y-DNA tested.
He was been found to be a 36/37 match with the modal of Lineage I at the
Harrington DNA Project where he is H-66.
Since that time a person descended from Bartholomew through his son Isaac has y-DNA tested
with Ancestry.com, and is also a match. There are several interesting things to note about
Lineage I. There are several members of that lineage that came from County Cork, Ireland in
the 1800s, which would support the tradition that Bartholomew's ancestry was Irish. An
interesting website gives details on the early origin of Clan Harrington in the
Beara Peninsula, which is where matches with Bartholomew are found.
One person that has been of interest for about 30 years as possibly being the father
of Bartholomew is Isaac Herrington who died in 1768 in York County, PA, leaving a widow
Jane. He was of interest for several reasons:
1. Bartholomew Herrington named his oldest son Isaac.
2. Bartholomew had a daughter named Jane.
3. Tradition published in histories of Jefferson County, MO stated that Bartholomew was
born in Lancaster County, PA. York County were Isaac lived was formed in 1749 from
4. The only Herrington families identified in that area of PA at that time were the
children of Jacob, who was the father of Isaac who died in 1768.
5. The only known original source for an age of Bartholomew was his headstone, which stated he
died 28 Sep. 1821 in the 82nd year of his age, placing his birth as about 1740.1 While a modern
memorial placed around the original stated he was born 10 April 1740, the source of that
information is unknown. The source of that exact date may be a record which also claimed
that Bartholomew was the son of Abraham HERRINGTON, but those claims should be
regarded with skepticism.
In 2014 Bartholomew HERRINGTON descendants had a y-DNA match with a descendant of Cornelius
HERRINGTON through his son Jacob. Jacob moved from Baltimore Co., MD to York County, PA, and
was the father of Isaac born in 1727 who died there in 1768, leaving a widow named Jane.
The Bartholomew HERRINGTON descendant and Cornelius Herrington descendant are both 36/37 matches
with the modal for Lineage I in the HARRINGTON DNA Project. One differs on CDYa, which with
CDYb are the "fastest" mutating markers among those first 37. The other differs on 576, which
is the second fastest mutating marker.
The y-DNA match proves that the lines of Cornelius HERRINGTON and Bartholomew HERRINGTON
share a common direct line male ancestor. The closeness of the y-DNA match suggests that
if Bartholomew was not a descendant of Cornelius, that the common ancestor would not be
much earlier. The ancestry of Cornelius is not known, and neither he nor of his children
have been found in association with any other HERRINGTON families.
While Cornelius had a son Isaac born in 1705, no records have been found of him after that
time, suggesting that he died young. If Bartholomew was a descendant of Cornelius then he
would have to have been through his only known son with descendants, that being Jacob.
It is believed that both the Cornelius descendant and Bartholomew descendant are seven
generations removed from Jacob HERRINGTON, son of Cornelius. One mutation on the 37 marker
test in that time period is about "average." If Bartholomew was descended from an unknown
brother to Cornelius, then 9 generations would have passed from both the Cornelius descendant
and Bartholomew descendant. Only one mutation in each line in 9 generations would be possible,
but with each passing generation the odds of only one mutation would decrease.
Based on the y-DNA match, plus the five points above, it is thought that Bartholomew was
through Jacob's son Isaac, being Isaac's son who was recorded in church records as
"Metallinir"/"Metallami." He was born on 19 December 1751 and baptized 1 November 1752 at
Christ Lutheran Church in York, York County, PA.
The name "Metallinir"/"Metallami" is obviously not a "real" name, so the question is, what
was it actually supposed to be? Christ Lutheran was a German church. All records were recorded
in German by a native German priest. It is not known how well he may have understood English,
especially if it was spoken by parents with a possible Irish accent. An initial B and initial
M have very similar sounds. Consider how different writers describe the sound a sheep makes as
baa and maa. There are various websites that describe how the initial B and M are considered
"sister sounds" because of the way they are formed with the mouth. Change the initial M in the
baptismal entry to B and pronounce Bah-tall-e-near or Bah-tall-a-me, and how similar does it
sound to "Bartholomew" when spoken with an Irish accent and heard by an native German speaker?
Also, consider how Bartholomew apparently pronounced his own name as "Bartholumy" based on
the spelling used in depositions Elizabeth gave regarding her husband in the pension file
of William DRENNEN.3 He also signed the Wilkinson Memorial in 1805 as "Barthomee (x) herington"106
giving another suggestion as to how persons heard him pronounce his name. Those pronunciations
are very close to the sound of the 1751 birth record, when the initial M in the record is
changed to a B.
While the 1751 birth date is 11 years younger than the age for Bartholomew being in the
"82 year of his age" as given on his headstone, such a discrepancy would not be unusual. It
was very common for death or cemetery records to add a few years to a person's actual age
at their death. The 1740 birth had always been viewed as questionable, as the ages of several
of Bartholomew's children were known from census. His oldest child appeared to be Mary, who
was born about 1779. If the 1740 birth were correct, that would make him about age 39 when his
first child was born. While that was not impossible, that would be very uncommon for the times.
Having a first child born at about age 28, if was born in 1751 would be more "normal" for the
One other point is regarding the above record that alleged that Bartholomew was the son of
Abraham HERRINGTON. While there are many parts of that record that suggest it was not dictated
by Bartholomew (who signed documents with a mark), it may have had parts based on
remembered facts by descendants. As discussed on the Cornelius Herrington page,
there was an Abraham HERRINGTON who is believed to be a brother not father to
Bartholomew. After their mother Jane died about 1774, Abraham took over the administration
of Isaac's estate, probably as the oldest son.
The wife of Bartholomew HERRINGTON was Elizabeth -?- as proved by St. Louis
Co., MO deeds where on 10 June 1815 "Bartholomew HERRINGTON and wife
Elizabeth" sold land.2 Elizabeth also made depositions regarding her
"husband Bartholumy HERRINGTON" in 1837 in the Revolutionary War pension
claim of Wiliam DRENEN (DRENNEN).3 A modern inscription placed around
the original headstone states she died 16 March 1817 in her 90th year.
People who have viewed the original headstone in person state that is actually
says 1847, not 1817. Note that on the picture of her original stone, it appears
to be 1847, not 1817, and that the spacing would fit a "4," but would be too large
for a "1."4
There are also claims that Bartholomew HERRINGTON had a first name Joseph.
The source of this is Louis HOUCK's A History of Missouri, with his information
on early settlers taken from land records.5 No original records which he used
have been found to name a "Joseph Bartholomew HERRINGTON." In all likelihood
he confused records in his notes while preparing the book. Bartholomew had
no first name Joseph.
The first record of Bartholomew was in 1777 when as Bartholomew HETHERINGTON
he appeared as a private in Captain Mitchell's Company.6 Hugh MITCHELL was
Captain of the 3rd Company of James SMITH's 3rd Battalion of Westmoreland Co., PA.7
At some point he was taken a prisoner of war, and held on the prison ship "Old Jersey"
in Wallabout Bay, Brooklyn, New York, where he was booked as Bartholomew HARRINGTON.88
After 1783,8 but by 1785 he moved to Fayette Co., KY where he signed a petition
for the formation of what became Bourbon County.9 He also signed a petition
from Bourbon Co., in July 1788 requesting a tobacco inspection station be established
on the South Fork of the Licking Creek at the Confluence of Stoner and Hinksons Forks
of said Creek near Isaac Ruddles Mill.10 The division of lands of John Hinkson, deceased,
mentioned a boundary running “up the creek to a spring coming out of under the bank near
to the cabbin which Bartholomew Harrington Built.”11
He appeared in Bourbon County tax lists in 1788, 1791 and 1792,12 Harrison County13
from 1794-1796 and Campbell County in 1797 and 1798.14
On 3 June 1798 he applied for 500 arpents (425.5 acres) of land in what would become
Missouri, that was granted 8 June 1799.15 The survey was recorded as
Biographical information on Bartholomew HERRINGTON.
Bartholomew HERRINGTON, born 19 December 1751 married
Elizabeth born about 1757; d. [probably] 16 Mar. 1847 Jefferson Co., MO
1. Mary HERRINGTON16 b. ca. 1779 Westmoreland Co.,39 PA40; m. John
WILSON;17,94 d. 1859 Jefferson Co., MO94,95
2. Isaac HERRINGTON16 b. say 178018 Westmoreland Co., PA39; m. Sarah
HILDEBRAND;19 d. about 1822 Jefferson Co., MO20
3. John HERRINGTON16 b. ca. 178221 Westmoreland Co.,39 PA21; m. Nancy SMIRL;41
d. 19 Mar. 186416,101 Jefferson Co., MO22,101
4. Samuel HERRINGTON16 b. say 178623 KY24; m. Susanah WICKERHAM;25 d. ca. 1849
Jefferson Co., MO26
5. William HERRINGTON16 b. 178827,89 KY; m. Ruth29 CONNER30; d. 23 Mar.89 186327,28
Jefferson Co., MO28
6. Elizabeth HERRINGTON16
7. Jane HERRINGTON16 b. KY;31 m. Jonathan HILDEBRAND;101 d. between 25 Nov. 1826,102
and 22 Mar. 1829,35Jefferson Co., MO
8. Joshua HERRINGTON16 b. 27 May 180032,86 near Harrisonville,
Monroe Co.,33 IL; m. Sarah DRENNEN;19 d. 14 Sep. 188432,87 (1883)86
Jefferson Co., MO32
John HERRINGTON and Nancy SMIRL had children:
1. Bartholomew HERRINGTON16 b. ca. 1809 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Eliza34
HILDEBRAN 28 June 1829;35 died between 25 Oct. and 16 Nov. 1830
Jefferson Co., MO34
2. Joshua HERRINGTON16 b. 8 Feb. 181138 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Lucinda
WIDEMAN;52,90 d. 9 Sep. 1886 Jefferson Co., MO38
3. Mary "Polly" HERRINGTON16 b. say 1813 probably Arkansas;101 m. John
HILDERBRAND16 23 Apr. 1829;35 d. age 2016 Jefferson Co., MO
4. John C. HERRINGTON16 b. 29 Apr. 181942 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Martha
BAKER 20 Oct. 1842;35 d. 14 Nov. 1893, bur. Pilgrims Rest Baptist
Church Cem., Jefferson Co., MO42
5. Elizabeth16,43 Emeline44 HERRINGTON b. ca. 182443 Jefferson Co., MO; m.
John A. HENSLEY16 24 Mar. 1839;35 d. Apr. 186216 Jefferson Co., MO
6. Samuel T. HERRINGTON16 b. ca. 1825 Jefferson Co., MO; m.1. Catherine
PENCE 17 July 1845;35 divorced; m.2. Josephine ALEXANDER 5 Feb.
1851;35 d. 185716 Jefferson Co., MO
7. James R. HERRINGTON16 b. ca. 182945 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Nancy E.
TRASK 24 May 1853;46 d. 186616 Jefferson Co., MO
Joshua HERRINGTON and Lucinda WIDEMAN had children:
1. John F. HERRINGTON b. 24 Mar. 183447 Jefferson Co., MO; d. 5 Apr.
1835 Jefferson Co., MO47
2. Nancy Emily HERRINGTON b. Mar. 183655 Jefferson Co., MO; m.
Orson BAKER16 2 Aug. 1855;35 living 190055
3. Mary A. HERRINGTON b. ca. 1838 Jefferson Co., MO; m. William
HEARST16 10 Oct. 1855;35 d. 29 July 186316 Jefferson Co., MO
4. Silas Nathaniel Green HERRINGTON b. 22 Mar. 184136,49,52,57 Jefferson
Co., MO;52 m.1. 22 Nov. 1860 Cynthia Jane BEELER;35,36,49 m.2.
Abigail Frances LEWIS 16 Apr. 1868;36,37,49 m.3. 26 Dec. 1869 Rebecca Ann
SHORT;35,36,49 m.4. 24 Dec. 1914 Mariba (HUGHES)36 FLOWERS;49,56 second and third
wives are cousins; d. 4 Apr. 1919,48,49,52,57 bur. Union Cem., Texas Co., MO49,52,57
5. Missouri Irene HERRINGTON b. 22 Mar. 184158 Jefferson Co., MO;
m. John B. CRAFT16 12 Mar. 1865;35 d. 25 Aug. 1923, bur. Pinelawn Cem.,
Texas Co., MO58
6. Perlina Ann HERRINGTON b. 7 Mar. 184450,52 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Levi
McCOLLOCH16 1 July 1860;35 d. 8 Apr. 1938,50,52 bur. Anthonies Mill Cem.,
a/k/a Kimberlin Cem., Washington Co., MO50
7. Virginia Frances HERRINGTON b. 23 Dec. 184752 Jefferson Co.,
MO; m.1. George HEARST16 19 Jan. 1865;35 m.2. Nathaniel Sylvester
HUSKEY16 13 Oct. 1878;35 d. 7 Dec. 1922; bur. Hillsboro Cem., Jefferson
8. Benjamin Franklin HERRINGTON b. 22 Nov. 185054 Jefferson Co.,
MO; m.1. Martha A. OGLE 17 Nov. 1878;35 m.2. Rosa M. POWER 7 June
1885;35 m.3. Millie Dora52 REYNOLDS 20 Nov. 1890;35 d. 24 Dec. 1928;54
Glade Chapel Cem., Jefferson Co., MO53
9. Rev. George Washinton HERRINGTON b. 24 July 185359,60 Jefferson Co., MO;
m. Henrietta KERKOWSKI 15 Feb. 1874;35,59 d. 31 July 1928;59,60 bur. Tecumseh
Mission Cem., Tecumseh, Pottawatomie Co., OK60
10. Elias Samuel HERRINGTON b. 4 Mar. 185661,85 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Jennie
MITCHELL 28 Aug. 1881;37 d. 25 May 1941 Payette, Payette Co., ID61,85
bur. Riverside Cem.85
11. Rosella HERRINGTON b. ca. 1859 Jefferson Co., MO;62 d. 186062-187063
Jefferson Co., MO
12. Dr. Joshua Lawson HERRINGTON b. 20 July 1861 Jefferson Co., MO;64,65,90 m.1
Ella TATUM 30 May 1888;64 m.2. Lena FOREMAN 20 Feb. 1937;67 d. 12 Dec. 1939;65
bur. Oak View Cem., Mullin, Mills Co., TX66,90,91
one other child died young
Biographical information on Silas Nathaniel Green HERRINGTON.
Green HERRINGTON and Jane BEELER had children:
1. Dr. William Franklin HERRINGTON36 b. 12 Sep. 1861 Jefferson Co., MO;71
m. Mary Elizabeth COATS 27 Dec. 1885;56 d. 1771 June 190336
Grants Pass, Josephine Co., Oregon, bur. Spokane, Spokane Co., Wash.71
2. George Washington HERRINGTON36 b. 951/24103 Nov. 186251 Jefferson Co., MO;
m. Cordelila Mires COATS 14 Dec. 1884;56 d. 25 Oct. 1914;36,51,103 bur.
Harrison Cem., Kootenai Co., ID51
3. Orlena Victoria Jane HERRINGTON36 b. 15 Dec. 1864 Jefferson
Co., MO; never married; d. 16 Feb. 1916, bur. Ozark Church Cem.,
Texas Co., MO36
Green HERRINGTON and Abigail Francis LEWIS had child:
1. Dr. James Joshua HERRINGTON36 b. 165,104 Mar. 1869; m.1. 19 Oct. 1896
Annie B. (-?-)77 CRUMLEY;70 m.2. Eva Luella (RILEY)69 McKEE
1 Jan. 1919;68 d. 7 May 193665,104 Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai Co., ID104
bur. Forest Cem., Coeur d'Alene78,93,104
Green HERRINGTON and Rebecca Ann SHORT had children all born in
Houston, Texas Co., MO:
1. Dr. Perry Andre HERRINGTON b. 23 Oct. 1870;36 m.1. Nora Edna DUKE
30 Jan. 1895;56 m.2. Frances Margaret PHILLIPS 22 Jan. 1914;72 d.
13 June 1960, bur. Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai Co., ID78
2. Abigail Frances HERRINGTON b. 12 Jan. 1872;36 m. William
Edward PALMER 23 Aug. 1912;75 d. 27 Oct. 1951, Harper, KS,
bur. Harper Cem., Harper Co., KS75,92
3. Mary Irene HERRINGTON b. 17 Mar. 1873;36 m. Fernando Erastus
STROUD 15 Oct. 1893;56,76 d. 18 Aug. 1933;48 bur. Hillcrest Cem.,
Rocky Ford, Otero Co., Colo.79
4. Silas Green HERRINGTON b. 3 Sep. 1874;36 m. Virda FOURT
20 Mar. 1898;56 d. 19 Sep. 192148,100 Dillon, Beaverhead Co., MT;
bur. Lima, Beaverhead Co.,MT100
5. Lucy Rebecca Jane HERRINGTON b. 27 Feb. 1876;36,52 m. William81 Almon80 STEWART
20 Feb. 1901;56 d. 1 Sep. 1947,52 bur. Oakland Cem., Upton Twp., Texas Co., MO52,82
6. Emily Anna HERRINGTON b. 10 Jan. 1878;36,73 m. James J. CHAMBERLAIN
29 Apr. 1900;74 d. 30 Jan. 1950 Pasadena, Los Angeles Co., CA;73 buried
Mt. View Cemetery
7. Thomas Erving HERRINGTON b. 9 June 1879;36 d. 10 Aug. 1881;36,96 bur.
Union Cem., Texas Co., MO96
8. Rosa Elizabeth HERRINGTON b. 4 Apr. 1881;36,83 m. Alfred Lawson
FLOWERS 5 May 1900;56 d. 17 Sep. 1961 Blackwell, Kay Co., OK,
bur. Blackwell I.O.O.F Cem.83
9. John Lawson HERRINGTON b. 2 July 1882;36 d. 23 Aug. 1882;36,97 bur. Union
Cem., Texas Co., MO97
10. Henry LAWS HERRINGTON b. 8 Oct. 1883;36,61 m. Hattie Elizabeth
(GARDNER)52 LEAVITT 29 Mar. 1927;84 d. 6 Oct. 1948 Emida, Benewah Co., ID61
11. Lida May HERRINGTON b. 4 Nov. 1884;36,98 d. 26 Nov. 1884;36,98 bur. Union
Cem., Texas Co., MO98
12. Oscar Lee HERRINGTON b. 25 May 1886;36,99 d. 436/2499 July 1888; bur. Union
Cem., Texas Co., MO99
Green HERRINGTON and Mariba (HUGHES) FLOWERS had no children.
1. Bartholomew Herrington headstone, Herrington Cemetery, Pevely, Jefferson Co., MO.
2. St. Louis Co., MO deed book E:219, FHL microfilm 0,529,940.
3. William Drennan Revolutionary War pension file S15816, NARA micropublication
804, roll 852, FHL microfilm 0,970,852, frame 552.
4. Elizabeth Herrington headstone, Herrington Cemetery, Pevely, Jefferson Co., MO.
5. Louis Houck, A History of Missouri, (R. R. Donnelley & Sons, Company,
6. Pennsylvania Archives, 2nd Ser., 14: 694.
7. Pennsylvania Archives, 6th Ser., 2: 310-311.
8. 1783 Westmoreland Co., PA tax list, Mount Pleasant Twp., p. 3, FHL microfilm
1,027,065, item 2.
9. Virginia Legislative Petitions, Kentucky Counties, Folder labeled "1785, Nov. 25
Fayette County (Ky.)", FHL microfilm 2,056,125, item 2.
10. Virginia Legislative Petitions, Kentucky Counties, Folder labeled "1788, Oct. 27
Bourbon County (Ky.)", FHL microfilm 2,056,126.
11. Bourbon Co., KY Court Orders A: 519, FHL microfilm 0,183,092.
12. Bourbon Co., KY tax lists, FHL microfilm 0,007,879
1788 Bartly Herington on Waller's List, p. 6.
1791 Barthomu Hernton on Griffith's List, p. 6
1792 Barthlmw Herinton on Brown's List, p. 8
13. Harrison Co., KY tax lists, FHL microfilm 0,008,021.
1794 Bartw Herington, p. 4.
1795 Barthol Herrington, p. 6.
1796 Bartlet Herrington on list 2, p. 6.
14. Campbell Co., KY tax lists, FHL microfilm 0,007,911.
1797 Batholomew Herrington on list 1, p. 4.
1798 Bartholomew Harrington on list 1, p. 6.
15. Territory of Louisiana Record of Titles kept at St. Louis, Record Book A: 157,
FHL microfilm 0,984,778.
16. Author unknown, "Genealogy of the Herrington Family".
Two typed pages found in the Bible of William Franklin Herrington (1861-1903)
believed from usage of "lived" and "lives" and dates of known dead, to have
been written ca. 1900. Original in 1984 in possession of Barb Brooks, Portland, OR.
Photocopy in my possession. If you would like a scan of this record, e-mail me.
17. Evidence that Bartholomew Herrington's daughter Mary is identical to Mary
who married John Wilson is:
a) 1850 Jefferson Co., MO census p. 451, Mary Wilson was age 71, and born in
PA. The age is consistent with the ages of Bartholomew's other children, and
in #16 as the first (eldest?) daughter listed. Bartholomew Herrington about
1779 lived in PA.
b) See #15. After 1797 Spanish Land Grants were given on the basis of 200
arpents for the claimant, 50 for each child, and 20 for each slave. Of Bartholomew's
8 children, Joshua was not yet born, so one of the other daughters had either
died or was married. John Wilson and wife Mary were married before arriving in
what became MO. See "c".
c) John Wilson and wife Mary's first two sons were Bartholomew H. Wilson born in
KY about 1798 and Samuel H. Wilson. They would have been named for the
paternal grandfather Bartholomew Herrington, and the maternal grandfather,
Samuel Wilson. [Bartholomew H. Wilson died about 1838. (Jefferson Co., MO
Probate Record "1834-1838, 1836-1845?" book, p. 34, FHL microfilm
0,966,102) His daughter Evaline/Emiline in 1880 stated listed that her father
was born in KY.-(1880 Jefferson Co., MO census, p. 177C.)]
d) John Wilson and wife Mary named a son Isaac, a name not known to appear
among the Wilson family prior to that.
18. Estimate based on his listing in #16 as the first son, and having a first
child born by 1803. [American State Papers, House of Representatives,
12th Congress, 2nd Session, Public Lands 2:440.]
19. John Hildebrand estate file, Jefferson Co., MO estate file #237, Jefferson
College, Hillsboro, MO.
20. Isaac Herrington estate file, Jefferson Co., MO estate file #241.
21. John Herrington household, 1860 Jefferson Co., MO census, p. 523.
22. John Herrington, Sr. estate file, Jefferson Co., MO estate file #711.
23. Estimate based on birthplace in KY (son Louis in #24), and listing in #16
24. Louis Herrington household, 1880 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 160A.
25. Jacob Wickerham estate file, St. Louis Co., MO estate file number 598,
collection 8, page 3.
26. Samuel Herrington estate file, Jefferson Co., MO estate file #197.
27. Elias B. Herrington Bible, [son of William] original in possession in 1986 of
Bessie H. Kinard, McKinney, TX. Photocopy in my possession.
William Herrington listed as born 1788, died age 75. If you would like
a scan of this record, e-mail me.
28. Jefferson Co., MO Probate Record 1853-1864 E:479, FHL microfilm 0,0966,105.
29. Jefferson Co., MO deed book B:286-287, FHL microfilm 0,965,020.
30. Jefferson Co., MO 1834-1839 Probate Book, p. 232, FHL microfilm 0,966,102.
William Herrington named as an heir of Catherine Connor.
31. 1880 Jefferson Co., MO census, Bartholomew Helterbrand household. Mother born KY.
32. Jefferson Co., MO Permanent Record of Deaths 1, unpaginated, arranged by
first letter of surname, H#164, FHL microfilm 0,966,092.
Age 84 years, 3 months, 17 days.
33. Mary Joan Boyer, Jefferson County, Missouri in Story and Pictures,
(Festus, MO: Tri-City Independent, 1956).
34. Bartholomew Herrington will, Jefferson Co., MO estate file 235.
35. Jefferson Co., MO marriage records.
1825-1838 book, FHL microfilm 0,966,084, item 3.
p. 40 Johnathan Hilderbrand and Sarah Jones, 22 Mar. 1829
p. 44 Barlet Herrington-Eliza Hilderbrand, 1829
p. 50 John Hilderbrand-Polly Herrington, 1829
1838-1849 book, FHL microfilm 0,966,084, item 4.
p. 12 Hensley-Herrington, 1839
p. 108 Herrington-Baker, 1842
p. 160 Herrington-Pence, 1845
1849-1871 book, FHL microfilm 0,966,085, item 1.
p. 26 Herrington-Alexander, 1851
p. 92 Baker-Herrington, 1855
p. 93 Herse [Hearst]-Herrington, 1855
p. 196 Herrington-Beeler, 1860
p. 197 McColloch-Herrington, 1860
p. 314 Hearst-Herrington, 1865
p. 391 Craft-Herrington, 1865
p. 500 Herrington-Short, 1869
1871-1881 book, FHL microfilm 0,966,086, item 1.
p. 73 Herrington-Kerkoski, 1874
p. 209 Huskey-Hearst, 1878
p. 297 Herrington-Ogle, 1878
Book 1, FHL microfilm 0,966,085, item 2.
p. 327 Herrington-Power, 1885
Book 3, FHL microfilm 0,966,087, item 1.
p. 40 Herrington-Reynolds, 1890
36. Silas Nathaniel Green Herrington, Family record written 29 July 1918 at
the request of Mrs. F. E. Stroud. Original in my possession. If you would
like a scan of this record, e-mail me.
37. Franklin Co., MO marriage records.
C:137, Harrington-Lewis, 1868, FHL microfilm 0,940,980.
E: 9, Herrington-Mitchell, 1881, FHL microfilm 0,940,981.
38. Dave Hallemann, Herrington Cemetery (MO: Hallemann, 2000).
39. Father's residence at that time.
40. Isaac Wilson household, 1850 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 451.
41. Letter from Ruth McColloch (1906- ) of Potosi, MO to Fredric Z. Saunders,
18 Apr. 1980, held by Saunders. Information was given to Ruth by
her aunt Rosetta "Rosie" McColloch (1890-1964) that Ruth believed was
from the family Bible (location unknown) of Perlina (Herrington) McColloch
that Perlina's father Joshua was the son of John Herrington and Nancy
42. John Herrington headstone, Pilgrims Rest Baptist Church Cemetery, Ware, Jefferson Co., MO.
43. John Hensley household, 1850 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 420.
44. John Hensley household, 1860 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 625.
45. James R. Herrington household, 1860 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 657
46. Crawford Co., MO marriages, 1:227, FHL microfilm 0,914,147, item 3.
47. Information of Ruth McColloch (1980).
48. Lena Blanche (Stroud) Saunders, information in her hand writing added at the
bottom of record #36.
49. Silas Nathaniel Green Herrington obituary, Houston Herald Houston, Mo,
undated clipping, photocopy in my possession.
50. Perlina McColloch headstone, Anthonies Mill Cem. Johnson Twp., Washington Co., MO
51. Geo. W. Herrington headstone, Harrison Cem., Kootenai Co., WA
52. Missouri Death Certificates 1910-1955, Missouri State Archives.
Silas Nathanial G. Herrington, 1919. [mother "Weidman"]
Virginia Francis Huskey, 1922. [mother "Wideman"]
Note: The certificate incorrectly gave her birth as "Dec. 23, 1849,
but correctly gave her age at death as 74 years, 11 months, 14 days.
See also Virginia F. Huskey headstone, Hillsboro Cem., Jefferson Co., MO
which lists her birth as 1847.
"Perina" (indexed as Pirina) McCulock, 1938. [Mother "Lucy Wideman"]
Lucille Stewart, 1947.
Hattie Gardner Herrington, 1934.
"Millie Dora Herrington", 1937 [indexed as Millie D.]
53. B. F. Herrington headstone, Glade Chapel Cemetery, Hillsboro, Jefferson Co., MO.
54. Letter from Lawson Herrington (1900-1985, son of Benjamin F. Herrington), to
Fredric Z. Saunders, undated, received 4 April 1980, held by Saunders.
55. Emily Baker household, 1900 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 249A.
56. Texas County, Missouri marriage records.
1:237 Herrington, Geo. W.- Coats, Cordelia, FHL microfilm 931630
1:291 Herrington, Wm. F.-Coats, Mary E., FHL microfilm 931630.
3:438 Stroud-Herrington, FHL microfilm 931631.
4:128 Herrington-Duke, FHL microfilm 931631.
5:52 Herrington-Fourt, FHL microfilm 931632.
5:274 Flowers, Lawson-Herrington, Rosa FHL microfilm 931632.
5:364 Stewart, W. A.- Herrington, Lucille E., FHL microfilm 931632.
8:334 Herrington, S. G.-Flowers, Mariby FHL microfilm 931633.
57. S. G. Herrington headstone, Union Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
58. Irene M. Craft headstone, Pine Lawn Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
59. George W. Herrington Bible, in possession of Margaret Herrington,
Techumseh, OK. Photocopy in my possession. If you would like a
scan of this, e-mail me.
60. George W. Herrington headstone, Tecumseh Mission Cem., Pottawatomie Co, OK.
61. GenWeb, 1911-1951 Idaho Death index Hd-Hh.
62. Jushua Herrington household, 1860 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 662.
63. Joshua Herrington household, 1870 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 209.
64. History of Texas Supplemented with Biographical Mention of Many
Prominent Persons and Families of the State, Central Texas version,
(Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1896), 254-255, FHL
65. American Medical Association, Deceased American Physicians 1864-1970,
Joshua Lawson Herrington cards, images 2943-2944.
James Joshua Herrington card, images 2932-2933.
66. Joshua L. Herrington obituary, unknown newspaper, 14 Dec. 1939 issue, p. 36.
67. E-mail Clinton Thomas to Fredric Z. Saunders, 23 June 2000.
68. Latah Co., ID marriage record 6:207, FHL microfilm 1,535,102.
69. Latah Co., ID marriage record 1:52, FHL microfilm 1,535,103, item 3.
Albert McKee to Luella Riley 27 June 1889.
70. Kootenai Co, ID Book of Marriages 1:128, FHL microfilm 1,548,240, item 4.
71. William F. Herrington obituary, unknown newspaper, (in Spokane?), undated.
72. Perry A. Herrington marriage, Nez Perce Co., ID Book of Marriage License 5:231,
FHL microfilm 1,516,569.
73. California Death Records, "Anna Chamberlain."
74. Shoshone Co., ID marriage licenses 2:37, FHL microfilm 1,548,798.
75. Abigail Frances Herrington Palmer obituary, unknown newspaper
(Houston Herald? [MO]), undated.
76. Family pages from F. E. Stroud Bible. Photocopy in my possession. Original
was in possession of F.E.Stroud’s daughter Mildred (Stroud) Blair of
Sun City, AZ/Denver, Colo. (deceased 2001). Publication date unknown.
The Bible was water damaged and thrown away, and only the family pages
were kept. Appears to have begun with marriage of O.B.Stroud and M.E.Moody,
with earlier records added at that time. If you would like a scan of the
pages, e-mail me at the address below.
77. Jas. J. Herrington household, 1900 Latah Co., ID, p. 234A.
James has step-daughter Ida Crumley, age 11.
78. Dr. Perry A. Herrington headstone, Forest Cemetery, Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai Co., ID.
79. Hillcrest Cemetery records, Rocky Ford, Colorado.
80. Almon Stewart household, 1910 Texas Co., MO, p. 76A.
81. William A. Stewart household, 1920 Texas Co., MO p. 107B.
82. Lucille E. Stewart headstone, Oakland Cemetery, Success, Texas Co., MO.
83. Rose E. Herrington Flowers headstone, Blackwell Cem., Blackwell, Kay Co., OK
84. Joseph H. Gardner, 26 July 2001 post to Genforum, Missouri, Texas County Forum.
85. Elias Samuel Herrington obituary (Rootsweb, Idaho-Payette board).
86. Joshua Herrington headstone, Herrington Cemetery, Pevely, Jefferson Co., MO.
Note: Although the headstone states 1883, see the death record (#32) and newspaper
notice (#87) which confirms the death as actually 1884.
87. Charlotte Maness, Jefferson Democrat, Hillsboro, MO, 8 Oct. 1884 issue,
4 Mar. 2007 post to Rootsweb, Jefferson County, MO mail list.
88. Danske Dandridge, American Prisoners of the Revolution, (Charlottesville, VA:
Michie Co., 1911), 466.
89. Jefferson County Historical Society, Jefferson County, Missouri
Cemetery Inscriptions, Harrington Cemetery, .
90. Joshua Lawson Herrington death certificate, Texas Death Certificates 1939 Delayed,
#72076, FHL microfilm 2,118,413, frame 3221. [mother Lucinda Wideman]
91. Joshua Herrington headstone, Oakview Cemetery, Mullin, Mills Co., TX.
92. A. Frances Palmer headstone, Harper Cemetery, Harper, Harper Co., KS.
93. Dr. J. J. Herrington headstone, Forest Cemetery, Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai Co., ID.
94. Dr. William West, [Medical Journal, 1852-18??], index and page 291, (Jefferson Co., MO).
Jefferson College History Center, De Soto, MO. Donated by Mrs. C. E. Fallet.
[Index transcription online].
Index lists "Wilson, Mrs. (Joshua Herington's sister) 291." Page 291 lists "1859
Apr. 23 Mrs. Willson (old lady)" and debits of $1.25. Photocopies in my possession, and
scans available on request.
95. See #94 when she was living as of April 23, 1859. She is not found in the 1860
96. Thomas E. Herrington headstone, Union Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
Age 2 Y, 2 M, 1 D.
97. John .Herrington headstone, Union Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
Age 1 M 21 D.
98. Lidia May Harrington headstone, Union Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
99. Oscar Lee Harrington headstone, Union Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
100. Beaverhead County, MT, Death Certificate 1106, "Gene" Herrington certificate.
Note: This should be "Green" Herrington.
101. Supreme Court of Missouri. Brinley et. al. Plaintiffs in Error v. Forsythe.
October Term 1878.
Transcript at: Descendants of Swope/Hoke/Brinley, pp. 30-34.
Joshua Herrington was then examined, who stated that he was sixty-four years old,
and that John Herrington was his father; that his father came to Missouri in 1799;
that belived at a place near Pevely, some five or six miles south of the Dorian
claim; that in 1811 John Herrington went to Arkansas; never lived on the land
in controversy; that the witness, who was his son, never heard from his father,
or any of the family, or from any one else, that his father ever resided on the
land in controversy; that he was born at a place, as he heard, south of the
Dorian claim; that he understood from his father that he staid seven or eight
years in Arkansas when he went there in 1811. This witness stated that he never
knew of any John Herrington except his father. When John Herrington came back
here he remained in this (Jefferson) county till his death in March, 1864. From
1822 he lived sixteen or seventeen miles from the Dorian survey till his death..
That Jonathan Hillebran married his father's sister, and attended to his
father's business when the latter went to Arkansas; that Hillebran was a man of
some business tact, and could read and write, but his father could not write his
name; that Hillebran died in Jefferson county at a very advanced age.
102. Jefferson Co., MO Deed Book B:332-334, FHL microfilm 0,965,020.
Jonathan Hildebrand and wife Jane deed to Jabez Warner, 25 Nov. 1826.
103. George W. Herrington death certificate, Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.
104. James Joshua Herrington death certificate, Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.
105. Registre d'Arpentage, Bartolome Herrington.
106. Clarence E. Carter, The Territorial Papers of the United States, Volume XIII,
The Territory of Louisiana-Missouri, 1803-1806, (Washington, D. C.: Governement
Printing Office, 1948), p. 343.
This page accessed times.
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 14 June 2014