Descendants of Gavin Hamilton have y-DNA tested. Those results are shown here.
Gavin HAMILTON died before Dec. 1698 Prince George's Co., MD;1 married
Elizabeth living 3 Jan. 1699 when she had remarried John GREENE2
1. Andrew HAMILTON1 m. Mary4 BEALL5; died between 23 Oct. 1718 and 24 June 1719
Prince George's Co., MD4
2. daughter HAMILTON1
3. daughter HAMILTON1
Andrew HAMILTON and first wife Mary3 had children:
1. Gawen HAMILTON b. 4 Nov. 1701 St. John's Parish, Prince George's Co., MD3;
m. Ann;7 living 17437
2. Mary HAMILTON b. 24 Nov. 1705 St. John's Parish, Prince George's Co., MD3
Andrew Hamilton and second wife Mary3,4 BEALL5 had children:
3. Thomas HAMILTON b. 21 May 1710 St. John's Parish, Prince George's Co., MD;3,6
m. Ann;8 d. between 14 Jan. 1782 and 6 Mar. 1784 Prince George's Co., MD8
4. Andrew HAMILTON6 b. ca. 1716; m. Mary;9 d. before 28 Mar. 1778
Prince George's Co., MD9
5. Ninian HAMILTON6 b. say 1717; m. Margaret6 LUCAS;10 d. ca. 1784
Randolph Co., NC11
6. George HAMILTON6 m. Mary GORDON;12 d. ca. 175215 at sea on trip to London13
After the death of Andrew HAMILTON, his widow Mary (BEALL) remarried to Thomas
EVANS14 by 1724. A widow with small children and real estate as Mary had
often remarried within months of the death of their husband, and they likely
married as early as 1719. Thomas EVANS had several proved children, although it is
unknown if all were by his wife Mary. Because of his known age, Walter was likely
a son by Mary. Jane may have been by a first wife, in that in her will she referred
to both Andrew HAMILTON and George HAMILTON as brother-in-law, while Elizabeth Evans
was called her sister. The term "brother-in-law" was commonly used for step siblings,
and less commonly for half siblings.
Children of Thomas EVANS:
1. Elizabeth EVANS20 never married;22 d. between 18 Apr. and 8 June 1767 Prince
George's Co., MD22
2. Walter EVANS20 b. ca. 172017 or 172118; m. Elizabeth18 BEALL19 (daughter of George b.
ca. 1695); living 1778 Prince George's Co., MD9
3. Charles EVANS20
4. Jane EVANS never married;16 d. between 8 and 12 Dec. 1766 Prince George's Co., MD16
5. Joseph EVANS21 m. Prissilla;23 d. before 22 Dec. 1783 Montgomery Co., MD23
Ninian HAMILTON and Margaret LUCAS had children:
1. Ninian Beall HAMILTON b. 28 Nov. 1739;24,26 m. Ann (FIELD?)25; d. 6 Apr. 183126
St. Louis Co., MO27
2. Thomas HAMILTON b. 10 May 1741;24 m. Blanch;50 d. 181548 to 1821 Rowan Co., NC49
3. Archibald HAMILTON b. 5 May 1743;24 m. Mary HAWKINS;28 living 1825 NC28
4. Mathew HAMILTON b. 22 Feb. 174524
5. Ann HAMILTON b. 14 Feb. 174724
6. Charles HAMILTON b. 20 Feb. 1749;24; d. about 1803 Randolph Co., NC51
7. Mary HAMILTON b. 5 Mar. 1751;24 never married, had child by Mr. CAMPBELL;30
d. 17 May 1821 Hope, Forsyth Co., NC29
8. Jasula HAMILTON b. 20 Aug. 175424
9. Elizabeth HAMILTON b. 20 Aug. 175424
10.Sarah HAMILTON b. 6 July 175624
11.Horatio HAMILTON b. 6 July 1756;24 m.1. Lucy PEDDYCOURT 17 Dec. 1782;31
m.2. Sarah (SCHNELDER) FREY 17 Feb. 1801; d. 8 Mar. 1840 Hope, Forsyth
Ninian Beall HAMILTON and Ann (FIELD?) had children:
1. William HAMILTON32 b. say 1767; m. Elizabeth TANZY;34 d. between 1 June 183033
and 22 Dec. 1832 St. Louis Co., MO35
2. Andrew HAMILTON32 b. say 1769; m. Penelope;36 d. between 26 and 29 May
1849 Franklin Co., MO37
3. Margaret HAMILTON32 b. say 1771;52 m. Leonard FARRAR;32 living 1843 Franklin
4. Sarah HAMILTON32 b. ca. 1774;39 m. Theophilas McKINNEY;32 living 1840 St. Louis
5. Ninian HAMILTON b. 19 May 1777;26,32 m. Sarah WOODS 14 Apr. 1803;26 d. 14 June
183626 St. Louis Co., MO27
6. Jane HAMILTON32,40 m.bond Joshua TANZEY32 12 Sep. 1799;40
7. Jeremiah HAMILTON32 b. 6 July 1782;41 m.1. Martha MITCHELL 5 Jan. 1810;42
m.2. Elizabeth FISHER 13 Mar. 1821;43 d. between 1 July and 10 Dec. 1847
Franklin Co., MO44
8. Ann HAMILTON32 born say, 1784; living 180232
9. Mary32 "Polly"45 HAMILTON32 b. ca. 1786; m. Robert BAY;46 d. between 31 May 183647
and 2 May 1837 Franklin Co., MO45
1. Gawen Hamilton will, Prince George's Co., MD Will Book 1:8.
Gavin Hamilton will transcription.
2. Prince George's Co., MD administrators bonds 1:14, FHL microfilm 0,014,296.
3. Register of St. John's or Piscataway Parish, [transcript] p. 259, FHL microfilm 0,014,303.
4. Andrew Hamilton will transcription, Maryland wills 15:172-174, FHL microfilm 0,012,846.
Andrew Hamilton will, Prince George's Co., MD Will Book 1:104-105.
5. That Mary was a Beall is shown by:
a) In 1706, Ninian Beall gave his daughter Mary a Negro girl about 5 years old
called Nanny. [Prince George's Co., MD land records C:185a-186a, FHL
b) In his 1717 will, Ninian Beall gave his "son-in-law" Andrew Hambleton a Negro
woman called Allie. [Ninian Beall will, Prince George's Co., MD Will Book 1:92-93.]
c) Andrew Hamilton's 1719 inventory included a Negro woman named Nanny, and
a very old Negro woman named Ailie. [Andrew Hamilton inventory, Prince George's Co., MD
Inventories B. E. No. 1:353-356.]
6. Evidence for children of Andrew is:
a) Gawen Hamilton on 9 Dec. 1690 purchased the 400 acre tract Attwoods
Purchase from John Attwood. [Charles Co., MD land records R1:132-133
FHL microfilm 0,013,749]
b) In his will, Gavin Hamilton left all his real estate to his son Andrew. [See #1]
c) Andrew Hambleton and wife Mary (x) Hambleton on 3 Mar. 1703 sold 122 acres
part of Hambleton and part of Attwoods Purchase to William
Tannyhill. [Prince George's Co., MD land records C:57a-58a, FHL microfilm
d) Andrew Hamilton in will stated for his land to be equally divided among his
children. [See #4]
e) In 1750, each in possession of 89 acres of Attwoods Purchase were Thomas
Hamilton, Andrew Hamilton, and George Hamilton. [Calvert Papers, Prince George's
and Frederick County 1750 Debt Book, pp. 13 & 74, FHL microfilm 1,685,860]
f) Andrew Hamilton on 10 Dec. 1714 received a patent on the 123 acre tract
Hamiltons Venture. [Maryland Patents RY1:261-262 (Vol. 51), FHL
g) Ninian Hamilton (wife Margaret released dower) on 15 June 1747 sold 84 (sic)
acres of Hamiltons Venture to Dunkin Ferguson. [Prince George's Co., MD
land records EE1:231-233, FHL microfilm 0,014,251] In the 1750 Debt Book
(p. 53) Dunkin Ferguson was listed with 89 acres of Hamiltons Adventure.
7. Prince George's Co., MD land records BB1:45-46, FHL microfilm 0,014,250.
8. Thomas Hamilton will, Prince George's Co., MD wills T#1:184, FHL microfilm 0,014,279.
9. Andrew Hamilton inventory, Prince George's Co., MD inventories ST1:33-34,
FHL microfilm 0,014,286.
10. Thomas Lucas will, MD wills 30:114, FHL microfilm 0,012,853.
Thomas Lucas will, Prince George's Co., MD Will Book 1:483-484.
Names daughter Margaret Hamilton.
11. Ninian Hamilton estate, Randolph Co., NC loose estate papers, FHL microfilm
2,070,881, frames 1617-1621.
12. George Forbes account, MD Accounts 34:398, FHL microfilm 0,012,908.
13. Karen Mauer Green, The Maryland Gazette 1727-1761, (Galveston: The
Frontier Press, 1989), 106.
14. Evidence that Andrew Hamilton's widow Mary married Thomas Evans includes:
a) On 15 Aug. 1769 a commission to determine the boundaries of Ackinhead
took the deposition of Thomas Hamilton. "Thomas Hamilton aged fifty
nine years or thereabouts did depose & say when he was a Lad Thomas Evans
this Depont Father in Law & old Thos. Johnson set a Compass......"
[Prince George's Co., MD Land Records AA#2:11, FHL microfilm 0,014,253]
b) The inventory of George Hamilton was approved by "brothers" Andrew Hamilton
and Walter Evans. [See #15]
c) Jane Evans in her will left bequests to her "brother-in-law" Andrew Hamilton and
to George Hamilton and Charles Hamilton, sons to her "brother-in-law" George
Hamilton, and to her sister Elizabeth Evans. [See #16]
d) Among those properties possessed by Thomas Evans in 1750 were 193 acres
of the tract Atwoods Purchase. [Calvert Papers, Prince George and
Frederick County Debt Book, FHL microfilm 1,685,860, See also #6e.] There
is no record of his having purchased that land, and is believed to be his wife
Mary's 1/3 dower as listed in Andrew Hamilton's will. [See #4]
e) The 1778 inventory of Andrew Hamilton had Thos. Hamilton and Walter Evans
sign as "kindred." [See #9]
e) On 15 March 1714 William Tanihill, Charles Beale, Andr. Hamelton, and Alix.
Harbet purchased pew number 6 in the St. John's Parish church. On 13 July 1728
summonses were to be issued to the proprietors of the "pew in Dispute" who were
Mr. Tanyhill, Mr. Beall, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Harbett, and Mr. Evans, concerning the
dispute that had arisen by Mrs. Norton buying Hamilton's right which was yet held
by Thomas Evans. [See #3, pages 34-35, 53-54, and 62.]
15. George Hamilton inventory, Maryland Inventories 49:49, FHL microfilm 0,012,877.
16. Jane Evans will, Prince George's Co., MD Will Book 1:577.
17. Prince George's Co., MD land records TT:366, FHL microfilm 0,014,252.
18. Gaius Marcus Brumbaugh, Maryland records : Colonial, Revolutionary, County
and Church from Original Sources, (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1975),
19. George Beall will, Montgomery Co., MD will A:262-263, FHL microfilm 0,014,230.
20. Walter Evans will, Prince George's Co., MD Will Book 1:195-196.
21. Prince George's Co., MD land records Y:154-155, FHL microfilm 0,014,250.
29 Mar. 1740 deed of gift from Joseph Belt and to his "Godson Joseph Evans son of Thomas Evans."
Also acknowledged by wife Margery Belt. Note: Joseph Belt's first wife Hester/Esther Beall
was a sister to Mary Beall.
22. Elizabeth Evans will, Prince George's Co., MD Will Book 1:596-597.
23. Joseph Evans inventory, Montgomery Co., MD Will Book B:176-177, FHL
24. Dolores Shepherd Miltenberger and the Rev. Gordon Miltenberger, Three
Hamiltons of Maryland: Gavin, Andrew, Ninian, (Dallas, TX: Miltenberger, 1983),
Transcript of, and cites Family Records A:53, Moravian Archives, Winston-Salem, NC.
25. Fredric Z. Saunders, 28 Sep. 2001 post to Genforum, Field Family Forum.
26. Miltenberger, Three Hamiltons, 77-81.
Photocopy of Bible of Ninian Hamilton (born 1777), published 1823.
27. Ninian Hamilton household, 1830 St. Louis Co., MO census, p. 316.
The household included males age 50-60 [Ninian born 1777] and age 90-100 [Ninian
28. Miltenberger, Three Hamiltons, 102.
29. Adelaide L. Fries, Records of the Moravians In North Carolina, (Raleigh:
State Department of Archives and History, 1947), VII: 3470.
30. Faye Moran, Campbell Family..
31. Miltenberger, Three Hamiltons, 22, 112.
32. Miltenberger, Three Hamiltons, 23.
Transcript of letter written 5 March 1802 by Ninian B. Hamilton.
33. William Hamilton household, 1830 St. Louis Co., MO census, p. 311.
Male age 60-70 in household.
34. St. Louis Co., MO Probate Court Digitization Project: 1802-1900,
Levi Tanzey estate file, 1813, collections 2, 4, 6, 7 and 9.
35. St. Louis Co., MO deed book U:73, FHL microfilm 0,529,948.
36. St. Louis Co., MO deed book B2:229, FHL microfilm 0,530,499.
37. Andrew Hamilton estate file, 1850, Franklin Co., MO estate files, FHL microfilm
2,258,983, frames 817-870.
frame 829 Dr. William Patton charged for visits on 22, 24 and 26 May 1849
frame 838 bill for shrouding on 29 May 1849
38. Leonard Farrar Revolutionary War pension application file S17406, FHL microfilm
0,970,956, frames 890-891.
39. T. McKinnney household, 1840 St. Louis Co., MO census, p. 268.
Female age 60-70 in household. Had one child at time of #32 in 1802.
40. Green Co., KY marriage bond and consent, 1799, alphabetical by groom,
FHL microfilm 0,592,673.
The consent is signed for his daughter [not named] by Ninian Bll Hamilton.
The 1799 bond is for the intended marriage to Mary Hamilton.
Green Co., KY loose original minister returns 1801-1810, FHL microfilm 0,595,013
contains the 15 Oct. 1805 list of Jeremiah Abell of 25 couples, in which he
stated he neglected to record the dates at the time of marriage. The 8th listing
is for Joshua Tansy to Jean Hamilton.
See also #32 where Ninian B. Hamilton in 1802 stated his daughter Jane
was married to Joshua Tanzy, and that his daugther Mary was single.
41. Miltenberger, Three Hamiltons, 177.
42. Franklin Co., MO marriage records A:35, FHL microfilm 0,940,979, item 3.
43. Franklin Co., MO marriage records A:12, FHL microfilm 0,940,979, item 3.
44. Jeremiah Hamilton will, Franklin Co., MO wills B:51, FHL microfilm 0,944,54.
45. Polly Bay papers, Franklin Co., MO adminisration bonds, 1837,
alphabetical, FHL microfilm 2,071,076, frames 1639-1642.
46. Miltenberger, Three Hamiltons, 183.
47. Robert Bay papers, Franklin Co., MO administration bonds, 1836,
alphabetical, FHL microfilm 2,071,076, frames 1576-1578.
48. Rowan Co., NC Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions Minutes 9:360, FHL
49. Blanch Hamilton will, Rowan Co., NC original loose wills, FHL microfilm
1,578,692, frames 1560-1564.
Blanch Hamilton will, Rowan Co., NC Will Book H:125-128.
50. Evidence that Blanch was the wife of Thomas Hamilton is:
a) Thomas and Blanch signed as witness to will of Thomas Pugh in 1794.
[Randolph Co., NC original loose wills, Thomas Pugh folder, FHL microfilm
1,578,528, frames 1376-1378.
b) Thomas Hambleton as a resident of Rowan Co., on 4 Aug. 1809 sold part of two
tracts in Randolph Co. granted to Harmon Husbands, one of which was sold
to Aquilla Jones who sold to Ninian Hambleton who sold to Thomas. [Randolph
Co., NC Record of Deeds 11:397-398, FHL microfilm 0,019,634.]
c) Samuel Hampleton purchased 241 acres in Rowan County on 4 Mar. 1809.
[Rowan Co., NC Deed Book 22:119-120, FHL microfilm 0,019,799.]
d) The 241 acres was taxed to Thomas Hamilton and Samuel Hamilton in various
years. Thomas was also taxed on the same acreage in 1813 that Aaron Hamilton
was taxed on in 1812. [Rowan Co., NC 1809-1814 tax book, FHL microfilm 1,760,528.]
1809, Capt. George Smith's Co., p. 16, Thomas Hamilton 241 acres.
1810, Capt. Smith's Co., p. 132, Thomas Hamilton 241 acres.
1811, Capt. Smith's Co., p. 188, Samuel Hamilton 241 acres.
1812, Capt. Smith's Co., p. number not readable, Samuel Hamilton 241 acres,
Aaron Hamilton 193 acres.
1813, Capt. George Smith's Co.,p.. 309, Thomas Hamilton 193 acres,
Samuel Hamilton 240 (sic) acres.
f) See #49 where Blanch Hamilton named [among others] eldest son
Samuel L. Hamilton and youngest son Aaron Hamilton.
51. Charles Hamilton file, Randolph Co., NC loose estate files, FHL microfilm
2,070,881, frames 1601-1608.
52. Margaret Farrar household 1840 Franklin Co. MO census.
Margaret age 60-70. First child born in 1789, see Miltenberger p. 160.
This page accessed times.
Page created by: email@example.com
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 11 Apr. 2013