The English origin and parents of John (GATER) GAITHER, born 1599, of
Virginia and Maryland are unknown. John GATER age 36, Joan GATER age 20,
and a John GATER age 15 were on a list of 24 July 1635 to sail from London
on the Assurance.1 Research by George Riggs Gaither published in The
Gaither Connection in a series beginning in 1991 stated that John
GATER baptized in 1603/4 at Lamberhurst, Kent, England had married Joan
MORLEY, and had a son John born (sic) 5 March 1635. He stated this was
the family that arrived in VA. Examination of the original Lamberhurst
parish register showed the following:2
1. John GATER had a daughter Elizabeth bap. Dec. 1632 [exact date not
viewable on the microfilm
2. John GATER and wife Mary had a son John bap. 5 Mar. 1634. [1635
3. John GATER and wife Mary had a son William bap. 20 Mar. 1637 [1638
The VA settler was NOT the John "GUTER" (sic) baptized 23 Feb. 1603 [1603/4]
at Lamberhurst, Kent, England, for which no parents were stated in the
baptismal register. THAT John of Lamberhurst MAY be the son of William
GATER and Tomson LINDREDGE who were married there on 9 May 1602. The
subject of that John's parentage is a moot question, as he is not the
ancestor of the American GAITHER family. Some Internet researchers have
outright forged/falsified/changed the above baptismal date in their records
to report that this John was "born" on 15 Feb. 1598/99, to agree with
John's age of 36 stated on the 1635 passenger list.
That the John at Lamberhurst with wife MARY was still living there in
1637 , he cannot be identical to John with wife JOAN that arrived in
VA in 1635. He was also not likely the father of the John GATER, born
about 1620, that was on the same ship. The elder never claimed any land
for transporting the younger. He did claim 800 acres for transportation
of himself, his "wife Joane" [Jane in one land claim] and 14 other persons,
all named.3 IF the elder John were the father of the younger John (born ca.
1620), he would undoubtedly have paid for his transportation, and claimed
land for paying for the transportation. That he did not indicates the
younger apparently paid for his own transportation. As no record has been
found for land claimed by anyone for transporting the younger, he likely
either died soon after arriving in VA, or returned to England.
There is no evidence that John GATER's wife Joan was surname MORLEY as
claimed in the article by George Riggs Gaither. There is no marriage
record for a John GATER to Joan MORELEY (or anyone else) at Lamberhurst.
There are numerous other errors in the George Riggs Gaither article,
regarding the alleged ancestry of that John there. As this is not the
John of Virginia, those errors are not addressed here.
John secondly married Mary -?-. At a court on 16 Jan. 1653 (1654) a deed
from John Godfrey of the County of Lower Norfolk to Thomas Dadford for
800 acres was ordered to be recorded. The deed was dated 16 Jan. 1653
(1654) and was stated to be 800 acres originally granted to John Gather
by patent on 26 July 1638. The original grant was recorded in Nansemond
County on 12 July 1649. "John Gater aforesaid by & with consent of Mary
Gater his wife" had assigned the land to John Godfrey on 12 July 1649 for
Since John Gaterís [the immigrant's] 1638 grant included land for transportation
of his wife Joan, and was assigned by the "aforesaid" [same] John Gater and
wife Mary, this shows this is the same man with two wives. This would show
Harry Wright Newman's theory5 that the John born ca. 1620 married Mary, and
was the son of John born ca. 1599 to be incorrect.
In 1646 John GEATHER was administrator as "brother-in-law" of the estate
of Henry WATERS6/WALTERS.7 Whether one of John GATER's wives was a
sister to Henry WATERS, Henry WATERS had a wife who was a sister to John GATER,
or one of John GATER's wives (either Joan or Mary) was a sister to a wife of
Henry WATERS is unknown. There is NO evidence to indicate that is was by John
GATER's wife Mary being a WATERS as claimed by some.
John GATER moved to Anne Arundel Co., MD about 1649/50, where letters of
administration were issued on his estate on 24 Nov. 1652 to his widow Mary.8
He was not living in 1666 as alleged by Harry Wright Newman. The records
show that the VA land mentioning John GATER in 1666 as an adjacent land
owner in VA, was the same land that John assigned in 1649. The records
were reciting old land owners from previous deeds, and had not been updated
to show current (1666) land owners.
JOHN GATER had one known child. It is unknown which wife was the mother, but
it should be noted that his son named a daughter Mary, as did at least four
of his children. The name Joan was not used among his known children or
grandchildren. John GATER had child:
1. John GAITHER b. by 1646 VA;9 bur. 12 Nov. 1702 All Hallow's Parish,
Anne Arundel Co., MD;11 m. Ruth -?-. Claims that she was a daughter of
Joseph MORLEY are in error. This appeared in print with Harry Wright
Newman's 1st Edition (1933) of "Anne Arundel Gentry," based on MORLEY's
1672 will in which he made Robert PROCTOR and John GATHER his executors
and legatees.21 Newman corrected this in his second edition (1970), as
court records show Joseph MORLEY died with no heirs.10
There are also claims that Ruth's surname was BEARD, daughter of Richard
BEARD. The evidence would indicate that she wasn't. Richard Beard wrote
his will in Anne Arundel County on 24 July 1675, which was proved on
10 August 1681. To his daughter Ruth, and "her sons" he left part of the
tract "Timber Neck."12 In addition to the fact that John Gaither and wife
Ruth were not married yet and had no sons, no part of "Timber Neck" was ever
possessed by the Gaither family. John Wheeler of Anne Arundel County wrote
his will on 21 November 1684 which was proved on 13 December of the same year.
In addition to other tracts, his son John was to have 100 acres of "Timber
Neck." In the event that his son John died without issue, then the lands were
to go to Richard Beard, the eldest son of "my loving friend Mr. Richard Beard"
and his heirs, but if Richard Beard the younger died without lawful issue then
to go to Matthew Beard, the other son "my loving friend Mr. Richard Beard"
His wife was named Christian.93
The implication is that John Wheeler first married Ruth Beard, and Christian
was a second wife. That Richard and Matthew, sons of Richard Beard [Jr.],
[Ruth's brother] were the residuary heirs, it seems his intent was to convey
the land back to the Beard family in case his son John Wheeler died with no heirs.
The son John Wheeler made a nuncupative will on 2 January 1687 which was
proved in Anne Arundel County on 15 June 1688. He left his entire estate to
his mother [not named].94
On 27 June 1688 the verbal will of John Wheeler of Anne Arundel County was
exhibited. Christian Wheeler had been sworn as administratrix on 15 June, and
the administration bond of Wm. Bateman and Christian his wife for the
said John Wheeler had Walter Phelps and John Gray as security.95
That record would show that John Wheeler, Sr.'s widow Christian remarried
to William Bateman. The Maryland Legislature passed an act in 1715 for defects
in the tract "Timber Neck" sold by Matthew Beard to Stephen Wright, and from
him to Samuel Chambers, indicating that the land had apparently reverted to
the Beard family, as per John Wheeler, Sr.'s will.96
After the death of John GAITHER, his widow Ruth secondly married Francis
HARDESTY on 13 Jan. 1703 [1703/4].11 Francis HARDESTY and Ruth had child:
Francis HARDESTY born 27 Feb. 1707 [1707/8].11 Ruth was buried 5 Oct. 1719
at All Hallow's Parish, Anne Arundel County.11
John GAITHER and wife Ruth had children born in All Hallow's Parish,
Anne Arundel Co., MD
1. John GAITHER b. 15 Jan. 1677/8;11 m.1. Jane BUCK 21 Aug. 1701;11
m.2. Elizabeth (DUVALL)13 WARFIELD 20 Aug. 1719;11 died between 4 May and
20 June 1739 Anne Arundel Co., MD14
2. Ruth GAITHER b. 8 Sep. 1679;11 m.1. John WARFIELD 16 Feb. 1696;11
m.2. Daniel CARTER 17 June 1719;11 living 172815
3. Benjamin GAITHER b. 20 Feb. 1681/2;11 m. Sarah BURGESS 8 Sep. 1709;11
d. between 26 Mar. and 31 Aug. 1741 Anne Arundel Co., MD when he
wrote his will.16
4. Rachel GAITHER b. 19 Apr. 1687;11 m. Samuel WHITE 18 Apr. 1706;11
5. Edward GAITHER b. 28 Sep. 1689;11 m.1. Mary DUVALL 21 Feb. 1709;11
m.2. Rachel;11 m.3. Margaret (SELLMAN)11 WILLIAMS17; died between
2 Jan. and 10 Apr. 1741 Anne Arundel Co, MD17
6. Mary GAITHER b. 13 Apr. 1692;11 m.1. Joseph WHITE 9 Feb. 170911
m.2. Edward NICHOLS19/Nicholson97; d. 1737 Anne Arundel Co., MD97
7. Rebecca GAITHER b. 24 May 1695;11 m. Richard SIMPSON20/STIMSON18;
8. Susannah b. 22 July 169711
Benjamin GAITHER and wife Sarah BURGESS had children born in All
Hallow's Parish, Anne Arundel Co., MD:
1. Benjamin GAITHER b. 16 July 1710;11 never married; d. between 21 Apr.23
and 7 Oct. 178422 Anne Arundel Co., MD
2. Elizabeth GAITHER b. 14 Oct. 1711;11 m.1. Thomas24 DAVIS16;24 m.2. Mark
BROWN25;24 living 177434
3. John GAITHER b. 24 Apr. 1713;11 m. Agnes (ROGERS)26 WILLIAMS26,27; d.
6 Sep. 178428 Anne Arundel Co., MD29
4. Edward GAITHER b. 20 Dec. 1714;11 m. Eleanor;30 d. between
26 Mar. and 11 June 1777 Montgomery Co., MD30
5. Samuel GAITHER b. 19 Jan. 1718;11 m. Mrs. Ann25 BURMAN5 d. between
23 Sep. and 8 Oct. 1762 Anne Arundel Co., MD25
6. Ruth GAITHER b. 23 Oct. 171911; d. before 26 Mar. 174116
7. Joseph GAITHER b. 18 Sep. 1722;11 d. before 26 Mar. 174116
8. Henry GAITHER b. 7 May 1724;11 m. Martha31 RIDGELY;32 d. between
13 Mar.22 and 21 Aug. 178331 Montgomery Co., MD31
9. Sarah GAITHER b. 29 Mar. 1726;11 m.1. Richard WARFIELD22;33 m.2. John
SEDGEWICK25;33 living 177434
10.William GAITHER b. 11 July 1728;11 never married; d. between 2 Oct.
1777 and and 7 Jan. 1782 Anne Arundel Co., MD35
11.Anne GAITHER b. 25 Feb. 172911 [1729/30); m. John HAMMOND22,25
14 June 1748;11 d. between 29 May 1783 and 26 June 1784 Baltimore Co., MD36
12.Mary GAITHER b. 17 Mar. 1732;11 m.1. Edward NORWOOD22;37 m.2. Mr. LONG22,35;
d. between 13 Mar. 178322 and 14 Oct. 178839
13.Cassandra GAITHER b. 23 Mar. 1734/5;11 m. Thomas LINTHICUM22;38 living
7 Oct. 178422
Harry Wright Newman claimed that Edward GAITHER's wife was the widow Eleanor
WHITTLE, of which nothing else was known. The evidence is that Eleanor, wife
of Edward GAITHER and Eleanor the widow WHITTLE are NOT the same person.
Edward GAITHER and Eleanor had children born in (now) Montgomery Co., MD
1. Basil GAITHER30 b. ca. 1748;41 m. Margarert42 WATKINS 20 Dec. 1766;40 d.
Aug. 180343 Rowan Co., NC42
2. Benjamin GAITHER30 b. before 1755;49 m. Elizabeth44 WATKINS;46 d. between
21 May 180244 and 10 Feb. 180347 Rowan Co., NC
3. Eleanor GAITHER30 b. say 1753; m. Thomas PRATHER30;50 died between
23 Sep. 177850 and 12 Jan. 178351
4. Greenbury GAITHER30 b. say 175653,60 (4 Dec. 1751, sic)52; m. Ann52
ANDERSON54 1354/14 Apr. 177952; d. 9 June 1823 Nelson Co., KY52
5. Burgess GAITHER30 b. 16 July 175755; m. Amelia "Milley" MARTIN57
24 Sep. 179155; d. 9 Dec. 1819 Iredell Co., NC56;
6. Nicholas GAITHER30 b. say 1758;53,60 m. Eleanor "Nelly"83 GREENFIELD
26 Oct. 1779;54 d. between 4 Jan.83 and 24 May84 1793 Iredell Co., NC83
bur. Bethany Church Cem., Iredell Co., NC85
7. Johnsey GAITHER30 b. 175653-175960 m. Mary59 THRELKELD58; d. between
12 Dec. 1797 and 1 Jan. 1798 Montgomery Co., MD59
8. Sarah GAITHER30 never married d. between 4 May61 and Aug. 179262
Iredell Co., NC
9. Cassandra GAITHER30 b. say 1763;41 m. bond James REID 8 Nov. 178251
10.Brice GAITHER30 b. after 175630; m. Elizabeth64 REID63; d. between
11 Jan. 1822 and 31 Oct 1823 Putnam Co., GA64
11.Lyla GAITHER30 b. say 1767; m. Vachel IJAMS;51 d. before 1791
Rowan Co., NC51
12.Eli GAITHER30 m. Elizabeth45 NEWMAN;65 d. between 7 Mar.45 and 4 May
180948 Rowan Co., NC
Basil GAITHER and Margaret WATKINS had children:
1. Eleanor "Nelly"42,51 GAITHER b. 7 July 176966,86 Montgomery Co., MD; m.bond
Isaac JONES42,86 2 Apr. 1787;51 d. 12 Oct. 1825, bur. Joppa Cem., Davie Co.,
2. Nicholas Watkins GAITHER68 b. before 1774;67 m.bond (Mrs.)92 Tabitha BAILEY
18 Sep. 179251; m.2. bond Catharine "Caty" Hampton 10 Jan. 1819;51
d. 21 Jan. 1824 (now) Davie Co., NC69
3. Walter GAITHER42 b. before 177467 Montgomery Co., MD; m.bond Elizabeth
SMOOT 5 May 1807;51 d. between 22 Oct. 182470 and 22 Nov. 1825 Rowan
4. Basil GAITHER42 b. 21 Dec. 177472 Montgomery Co., MD; m.bond Tabitha
SMART 8 Mar. 1803;51 d. 183273 Tipton Co.,74 TN73
5. Gassaway GAITHER42 b. 3 July 177872 Montgomery Co., MD; m. Mary SMOOT75
ca. 1806; d. between 30 Sep. 184776 and 28 Feb. 1848 Davie Co., NC77
6. Nathan GAITHER42 b. 15 Sep. 178879 (1785?) (now) Davie Co., NC; m. Martha
"Patsy"78 MORRISON 14 June 1817;78 d. 12 Aug. 186279 Columbia, Adair Co., KY
7. Elizabeth51 "Betsy" GAITHER42 b. 26 Nov. 178872 (now) Davie Co., NC; m.bond
John MARCH, Jr. 18 Jan. 181051
Gassaway GAITHER and Mary SMOOT had children born in (now) Davie Co.,
1. Eleanor "Ellen" GAITHER80 b. 25 July 1807;87 m. Elisha GIBBS80; d.
5 Jan. 1857, bur. Old Joppa Cem., Davie Co., NC87
2. Ephraim GAITHER80 b. 13 Dec. 1808;66,90 m. bond Sarah Hall JOHNSON
14 Jan. 1835;51 d. 17 Apr. 1889, bur. Old Joppa Cem., Davie Co., NC66,90
3. Elvira GAITHER80 b. 6 Dec. 1810;88 m. bond Henry Railsback AUSTIN80,88
16 Nov. 1830;51 d. 12 Aug. 1905, bur. Old Joppa Cem., Davie Co., NC88
4. Matilda W. GAITHER80 b. 1815-1820;82 m. Samuel ROSEBROUGH80 20 Aug. 1840;81
d. between 28 Feb. 184880 and 5 Mar. 185081 Davie Co., NC
5. Burgess S. GAITHER80 b. 14 July 1818;66,91 m. Sarah Ann McMAHAN 27 Nov. 1843;81
d. 8 Aug. 1887, bur. Wesley Chapel United Methodist Church Cem., Davie Co., NC66,91
6. Mary Maria GAITHER80 b. 22 June 1822;89 m. William Booe MARCH80,89 1 Sep.
1842;81 d. 14 Jan. 1847, bur. Old Joppa Cem., Davie Co., NC89
1. Peter Wilson Coldham, The Complete Book of Emigrants 1607-1660,
(Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., 1987), 156-157.
2. Church of England parish register, Lamberhurst, Kent, England, FHL
3. John Gater patent, Virginia Patents 1:578.
4. Lower Norfolk Co., VA Orders, Deeds, and Wills, C:73. FHL microfilm
5. Harry Wright Newman, Anne Arundel Gentry, (Annapolis, MD: Newman,
1970), Volume One, pp. 59-61 [image 68 of 507].
6. Lower Norfolk Co., VA Orders, Deeds, and Wills B:2a, FHL microfilm
7. Lower Norfolk Co., VA Orders, Deeds, and Wills B:43, FHL microfilm
FHL microfilm 0,032,823.
8. Archives of Maryland 10:194-195.
9. Maryland patents Liber 5:190, [Vol. 7], FHL microfilm 0,013,065.
8 Oct. 1662 John Gather demanded renewal of warrant dated 26 March 1662.
10. Archives of Maryland 51:539-544
See page 543 for specific statement Joseph Morley died with no heirs.
11. F. Edward Wright, Anne Arundel County Church Records of the 17th and
18th Centuries, (Westminster, MD: Family Line Publications, no date).
12. Richard Beard will, MD wills 2:143-146 [image 144 of 412].
13. Archives of Maryland 40:88.
14. John Gaither will, MD wills 22:60 [image 62 of 545].
15. Maryland Testamentary Proceedings 28:173.
16. Benjamin Gaither will, MD wills 22:380-382 [image 382 of 545].
Benjamin Gaither will transcription.
17. Edward Gaither will, MD wills 22:409-410 [image 411 of 545].
18. Benjamin Gaither inventory, MD inventories 27:1-4.
Rachel White and Rebecca Stimson signed as next of kin.
19. Joseph White inventory, MD inventories 21:16-18.
20. Donna Valley Russell, "Who is Richard Simpson of Frederick County?,"
Western Maryland Genealogy, 14 (Jan. 1998): 3.
21. Joseph Morley will, MD wills 5:4-5 [image 5 of 394].
22. Benjamin Gaither will, Anne Arundel Co., MD wills TG1:201-205.
23. Anne Arundel Co., MD deeds NH1:421-422, FHL microfilm 0,013,285.
24. Thomas Davis account, MD accounts 32:226.
25. Samuel Gaither will, MD wills 31:733-734 [image 141 of 540].
26. John Rogers account, MD accounts 18:228-230.
27. John Williams account, MD accounts 37:233-235.
28. Newman, p. 95 [image 104 of 507], citing Bible record.
29. John Gaither will, Anne Arundel Co., MD wills TG1:213-216.
30. Edward Gaither will, Montgomery Co., MD wills A:1-3.
Edward Gaither will transcription
31. Henry Gaither will, Montgomery Co., MD wills B:143-146.
32. William Ridgely will, MD wills 30:5-6 [image 17 of 478].
33. Richard Warfield account, MD accounts 41:420-421.
34. Sarah Gaither account, MD accounts 69:398-402.
35. William Gaither will, Anne Arundel Co., MD wills TG1:116-117.
36. Ann Hammond will, Baltimore Co., MD wills 4:14-15.
37. Samuel Gaither account, MD accounts 51:40-44.
38. Samuel Gaither account, MD accounts 51:297-298.
39. Benjamin Gaither account, Anne Arundel Co., MD accounts JG2:94-95.
40. Peter Wilson Coldham, "All Hallows Marriage Records," MD Gen. Soc.
Bulletin 38 (Fall 1997): 483-488.
41. Estimate from marriage date.
42. Basil Gaither will transcription, Rowan County, NC original wills,
NC State Archives, FHL microfilm 1,578,692, frames 1083-1086.
Recorded copy Book G:61-63
43. Lois Smathers Neal, Abstracts of Vital Records from Raleigh, North
Carolina Newspapers, (Spartanburg, SC: The Reprint Publishers, 1979),
44. Benjamin Gaither will, Rowan County, NC original wills, NC State Archives,
FHL microfilm 1,578,692, frames 1091-1093.
Recorded copy Book G:55.
45. Eli Gaither will, Rowan County, NC original wills, NC State Archives,
FHL microfilm 1,578,692, frames 1095-1098.
Recorded copy Book G:126.
46. Arania Hendron will, Rowan County, NC original wills, NC State Archives,
FHL microfilm 1,578,692, frames 1869-1870.
Recorded copy Book D:192.
47. Rowan County, NC 1800-1807 court of pleas and quarter sessions minutes, p. 209.
48. Rowan County, NC 1807-1813 court of pleas and quarter sessions minutes, p. 112.
49. 1800 Rowan Co., NC census. p. 451.
Benjamin Gather over age 45.
50. Montgomery Co., MD deeds A1:173-174 & 238-239, FHL microfilm 0,014,208.
51. Rowan County, NC loose marriage bonds, roughly alphabetical by groom.
James Reed-Cassina Gaither, Bondsman: Mat. Troy, FHL microfilm 0,500,955.
Thomas Prater [signed Prather]-Vilinda Robey, Bondsman: William Williamson, FHL microfilm 0,500,955.
Vachel Ijams-Lilah Gaither, not dated, during term of Gov.
Alexander Martin (1782-1785 and 1789-1791), Bondsman: Benjamin Gaither, FHL microfilm 0,500,953.
Vachel Ijams-Martha Cunningham, 19 Sep. 1791, Bondsman: Isaac Jones, FHL microfilm 0,500,953.
Isaac Jones-Nelly Gaither, Bondsman: Basil Gaither, FHL microfilm 0,500,953.
Nicholas W. Gaither-Tabitha Baley, Bondsman: Brice W. Ijams, FHL microfilm 0,500,952.
Basil Gaither-Tabitha Smart, Bondsman: Nathaniel Pearson, FHL microfilm 0,500,952.
Walter Gaither-Elizabeth Smoot, Bondsman: Nicholas W. Gaither, FHL microfilm 0,500,952
Nicholas W. Gaither-Caty Hampton, Bondsman: Bazel Gaither, FHL microfilm 0,500,952
John March, Jr.-Elizabeth Gather, Bondsman: Richmon [signed Richmond] Hughes, FHL microfilm 0,500,954.
Henry R. Austin-Elvira Gaither, Bondsman: Wilson Rose, FHL microfilm 0,500,949.
Ephram Gaither-Sarah H. Johnson, Bondsman: James Nesbet[signed James K. Nisbet], FHL microfilm 0,500,952.
52. Greenberry and Ann Gaither Revolutionary War pension file, W8840,
Regarding a birth of 1751, see #30, his father's will, where he was
under age 21 in 1777.
53. Estimate from under 21 in 1777 in #30 and marriage date.
54. Gaius Marcus Brumbaugh, Maryland Records, Colonial, Revolutionary,
Court and Church, (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc.,
55. The Genealogical Society of Iredell County, The Heritage of Iredell
County 1980, (Statesville, NC: Society, 1980), 284, section written
by James C. Gaither.
56. Neal, II:241 (1980). Died in his 63rd year of age.
57. Iredell County, NC deeds K:4.
58. Newman, p. 115 [image 124 of 507], citing Bible record
59. Johnsey Gaither will, Montgomery Co., MD wills D:13-15, FHL microfilm
60. Montgomery Co., MD deeds, FHL microfilm 0,014,208. At least age 21
to sell land.
A:463-464, Nicholas and Burgess Gaither sell land 9 Nov. 1779.
A:464-466, Greenberry Gaither sells land 16 March 1780.
A:466-467, Burgess Gaither sells land 16 March 1780.
A:478-469, Johnsey Gaither sells land 15 March 1780.
61. Sarah Gaither will, Iredell County, NC original wills, North Carolina
State Archives, FHL microfilm 1,571,950, frames 1006-1007.
Recorded copy: Iredell County, NC wills 1:106.
62. Iredell County, NC 1789-1805 Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions
minutes, unpaginated Aug. 1792 court session, FHL microfilm 0,548,873.
63. Andrew Reid loose estate papers, 1816, Greene Co., GA probate court estate
records, alphabetical, FHL microfilm 1,819,065, frames 324-345.
64. Brice Gaither will, Putnam Co., GA wills B:11-15, FHL microfilm 0,394,045.
65. Anthony Newman will, Rowan Co., NC Will Book F:57-61.
66. Davie County Historical and Genealogical Socity, Davie County
Cemeteries, (Mocksville, NC: author, 1998).
67. 1800 Rowan Co., NC census. Age 26-45.
68. Newman, p. 129 [image 138 of 507], citing tradition of family.
69. Neal, II:242.
70. John Foster (1819) file, Rowan County, NC loose estates.
Walter Gaither signed division of Negroes as a commissioner.
71. Rowan Co., NC 1823-1828 Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions minutes, p. 211.
Administration granted on estate.
72. Edythe Rucker Whitley, Membership Roster and Soldiers of the
Tennessee Society of the DAR 1894-1960, (Nashville?: Tennessee
State Society NSDAR, 1961), 681, member #415098 Margaret Johnson citing
Bible of Basil Gaither and Tabitha Smart.
73. Bazil Gaither estate file, 1832, Davie Co., NC loose estates, FHL microfilm
1,941,316, frame 249.
74. 1830 Tipton Co., TN census, Bazel Gaither household, p. 270.
1840 Tipton Co., TN census, Tabitha Gather household, p. 260.
75. James Smoot will transcription, Davie Co., NC original wills, NC State Archives,
FHL microfilm 1,548,853, frames 478-479.
Recorded copy: Will Book 1:7.
76. Davie Co., NC Superior Court 1837-1848 equity minute docket, p. 291,
FHL microfilm 0,572,591. Gassaway Gaithr a juror.
77. Davie Co., NC 1847-1862 Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions minutes,
p. 13, FHL microfilm 0,572,589. Administration granted on estate of
78. Adair Co., KY marriage register 1:51.
79. Newman, pp. 127-128 [image 137 of 507].
Age in Adair Co., KY census of 64 in 1850 and 74 in 1860 would suggest
born about 1785.
80. Gazaaway Gaither (1848) file, Davie Co., NC loose estates.
List of heirs. Examine entire file for additional information.
81. Nancy K. Murphy, Davie County Marriages 1836-1900, (Mocksville, NC:
Davie County Historical and Genealogical Society, 1998).
Note: Samuel Rosebrough remarried on 5 Mar. 1850.
82. 1830 Rowan Co., NC census, Gassaway Gaither household, p. 422.
Believed to be 10-15 female in Gassaway
83. Nicholas Gaither will, Iredell Co., NC original wills, NC State Archives,
FHL microfilm 1,571,950, frames 1003-1004.
Recorded copy: Iredell County, NC wills 1:105.
84. Iredell Co., NC 1789-1805 Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions Minutes, p. 133.
85. Nicholas Gaither headstone, Bethany Cemetery, Iredell Co., NC.
86. Ellen (Gaither) Jones headstone, Joppa Cem., Davie Co., NC.
87. Ellen Gibbs headstone, Old Joppa Cemetery, Mocksville, Davie Co., NC.
88. Elvira Gaither Austin headstone, Old Joppa Cemetery, Mocksville, Davie Co., NC.
89. Mary Maria Gaither March headstone, Old Joppa Cemetery, Mocksville, Davie Co., NC.
90. Ephraim Gaither headstone, Old Joppa Cemetery, Mocksville, Davie Co., NC.
91. Burgess Gaither headstone, Wesley Chapel United Methodist Church Cemetery,
Mocksville, Davie Co., NC.
92. Samuel Bailey estate file, 1791, Rowan Co., NC estate files.
93. John Wheeler will, MD wills 4:170-171 [image 172 of 328].
94. John Wheeler nuncupative will, MD wills 4:311, FHL microfilm 12843.
95. John Wheeler nuncupative will proved, MD Testamentary Proceedings 14:78.
96. Archives of Maryland 38:183-185.
97. Edward Nichols and wife Mary lately called Mary White account,
Maryland Accounts 14:475-477.
Note: Also called Mary Nicholson in record.
98. Samuel White will, Maryland Will Book 30, pp. 1-3. [image 13 of 478]
This page accessed times.
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 12 March 2017