Thomas BARECOCK m. Margaret10; died between 1 Jan. 1721 and 17 Jan. 1721/2
Pasquotank Co., NC1
It would appaar that Thomas was a step-son of William JENNINGS, although
it is also possible that a wife of Thomas was a daughter of JENNINGS.
William SEARES in his will written in 1679 made his wife Ann his executrix.2
As overseers he appointed his "father-in-law William JENNINGS & sd. JENNINGS
son-in-law Thomas BARCOCK." Son-in-law in that time period was used in both
the modern connotation, and also to refer to a step-son. If Thomas BARECOCK
had married a daughter of JENNINGS, it would seem that SEARES would have
referred to BARCOCK as either his "brother" or "brother-in-law" rather than
William JENNINGS own will written on 24 January 1686/7 and proved --
April 1687 would also imply the same. He made bequests to his daughter Ann
LATHUM [who first married the above William SEARES], his godson William
BARKCOKE, Ralph GARNET's daughter Mary, and his son John JENNINGS. The
heirs of his residual estate were his daughter Ann LATHUM and son John
JENNINGS.4 That Thomas's son William was called a "godson" and not
grandson, and that he was the only of Thomas's children that received a
bequest, it would appear more likely that Thomas BARECOCK was a step-son
of William JENNINGS.
Thomas BARECOCK and wife Margaret had children:
1. Elizabeth BARECOCK1 m. John11,12 UPTON1; living 172112
2. Sarah BARECOCK1 m. Mr. SANDERLIN1
3. Prissilla BARECOCK1 m. [Thomas9]? GREGORY1; died before 17369
4. Margaret BARECOCK1b. say 1680; m. Richard3 GREGORY1
between 3 Feb. 1746/7 and July 1753 Pasquotank Co., NC5
5. William BARECOCK1 b. before 1686;4 m. Jane6,7 PEGGS;6
d. between 5 Mar. 1730/1 and 10 July 1731 Pasquotank Co., NC7
6. Rebecka BARECOCK1 m. James7 FORBUS1; living 17317
7. Martha BARECOCK1 m. John8FORBUS1/FORBES8 living 17478
1. Thomas Barecock will, NC Secretary of State original wills.
Thomas Barecock will transcription.
2. William Seares will, NC Secretary of State original wills, FHL microfilm
1,605,227, frame 491.
3. Richard Gregory will, NC Secretary of State wills 2:235, FHL microfilm
4. William Jenings will, NC Secretary of State original wills, FHL microfilm
1605225, frame 476.
5. Margaret Gregory will, NC Secretary of State original wills.
Margaret Gregory will, transcription.
7. William Barcock will, NC Secretary of State original wills.
James Forbus and Rebaco Forbus were witnesses.
8. John Forbes will, NC Secretary of State original wills, alphabetical,
FHL microfilm 1,605,224, frames 588-589.
9. Thomas Gregory will, NC Secretary of State original wills, alphabetical,
FHL microfilm 1,605,224, frames 990-992.
The wife of Thomas Gregory was deceased when his will was written on
10 April 1736. He is the only Gregory found in Pasquotank County to
have been of a like age as Richard Gregory, who married Prissilla's
sister Margaret Barecock. No records showing the name of the wife
of Thomas have been found.
10. Caroline B. Whitley, North Carolina Headrights: A List of Names, 1663-1744,
(Raleigh, NC: Division of Archives and History, North Carolia Department
of Cultural Resources, 2001), 167-169.
29 Oct. 1695 Thomas Barcock claimed headrights for transportaion of
himself, "Margrt. his wife," and others.
11. Pasquotank Co., NC, 1700-1747 deeds: 166, FHL microfilm 0,019,503.
12. Pasquotank Co., NC 1700-1747 deeds: 432-433, FHL microfilm 0,019,503.
This page accessed times.
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 3 Apr. 2014