Joseph AMY's was born in Pennsylvania according to census, but his exact origin
there is unknown. Family tradition is that the name was originally spelled EMIGH.
Tradition is that he went down the Ohio River on a flatboat, and upon arriving at
the site of now New Amsterdam his only possessions were a grubbing hoe, a bridle,
and an iron pot. In Indiana he was a blacksmith, and later a Justice of the Peace.
Biographical information on Joseph AMY.
Joseph AMY b. [calculated] 20 Apr. 1796,1 PA;4 d. 5 July 1874,1 Harrison Co., IN;2 bur.
Old Pittman Cem. (also known as Applegate Cem.), Harrision Co., Indiana1
Cassandra4/Casindria3 APPLEGATE b. 15 Jan. 17943
Allegheny Co.,5 PA4; d. 15 Jan. 1874;3 bur. Old Pittman Cem., Harrison Co., IN3
1. Levi AMY;56 b. ca. 1815
2. William AMY;56 b. ca. 1817
3. Mary Jane AMY b. 12 Oct. 1819;6 Harrison Co., IN; m. Preston FUNK
16 Feb. 1840;7 d. 15 Dec. 1866, bur. Ripperdan-Sonner Cem., Harrison Co., IN6
4. Elizabeth AMY b. ca. 1821;10 Harrison Co., IN; m. John McADAMS (lic.)
23 June 1838;7 d. between 186010 and 8 May 18667 Harrison Co., IN
Note: John McADAMS secondly married Martha A. [CURTS] AMY on the latter date.
5. Joseph A. AMY2 b. ca. 1823 Harrison Co., IN; m. Martha Ann CURTS
3 Aug. 1845;7 d. 15 Aug. 1864 Andersonville Prison, Georgia8
Note: She secondly married 8 May 1866 John McADAMS7
6. Jesse AMY2 b. 25 July 1825 Harrison Co., IN; m. Mahala MINGLES
21/22 June 1845;7 d. 23 June 1906 Kirk, Yuma Co., Colo.9,55
7. George W. AMY2 b. 3 Mar. 182712 Harrison Co., IN; m.1. Margaret DAVIDSON
12 Mar. 1848;7 m.2. Julia A. LONG 19 Apr. 1865;7 d. 17 Feb. 190711,12
Burlington,11 Coffey Co., KS; bur. Graceland Cem., Burlington12
8. Ira AMY b. ca. 1829 Harrison Co., IN;4 living 18504
9. Allen AMY4 b. 23 Nov. 1830 Harrison Co., IN; m.1. Ann Maria VIGUS
28 July 1850;7 m.2. Mary Magdalene BRILES 29 Mar. 1854;7
d. 13 Mar. 1862 Cumberland Ford, KY13
10. James AMY;56 b. ca. 1832
Jesse AMY met his future wife when she was hired as a maid by his father Joseph
AMY for his wife. In 1883 he sold the one half of his father's 80 acres he
had inherited from his will. He moved at that time to Jasper County, Iowa.
About 1895 he moved to Colorado where his son Henry had previously moved in
1889. Jesse and son Levi spent the winter with Henry and are listed with
him in the 1895 Denver City Directory at 3202 Madison. Jesse and Mahala's
granddaughter Bessie Ethelyn AMY remembered every morning when she rose, both
would be sitting around the stove in rocking chairs, smoking corncob pipes,
with their feet by the fire. All the grandchildren were glad they were there,
as Mahala cooked cornbread for them. That was the only time they ever got it,
as Henry had grown up on it, and didn't want to eat it anymore. After spending
the winter in Denver, Jesse moved to about one and a half miles south of where
the town of Kirk was later established.
Jesse had no middle name Isaac. When his son George M. AMY married Elva A. DAVIS
in 1888, the record lists his parents as Jesse AMY and Mahala MINGLES.48 Both the WPA
and Family Search have incorrectly read his name as "Isaac." While at a glance it
could appear to be Isaac, a close comparison of the letters with others by the
clerk leaves no doubt that it is "Jesse."
Jesse AMY and Mahala MINGLES had children, all born Harrison Co., IN:
1. Margaret AMY b. 314,15/941 Apr. 1847;14,15 m. Nelson T. WILBURN 23 June 1867;
d. 18 Sep. 1869; bur. Old Cold Friday (aka Greenbrier) Cem., Harrison Co., IN41
2. John Manford AMY b. 16 Jan. 184817/1849;14,15,16 m. Wilana ca. 1871;16 d. 8 July
1927 Greenville, Hunt Co., TX;17 bur. Hughes Springs, Cass Co., TX17
3. Ira AMY b. 4 Oct. 1850;14,15,18,45 m. Harriet A. JONES 12 Sep. 1875;7 d.
7 Apr. 1923;18,45 bur. New Amsterdam, Harrison Co., IN45
4. Mary Elizabeth "Molly" AMY b. 519/16 Jan. 1853;14,15 m. Harrison PITTMAN
26 Dec. 1872;7,19 d. 13 Dec. 1928;19 bur. Cedar Hill Cem., Corydon,
Harrison Co., IN19,44
5. George Nelson AMY b. 31 May 1855;14,15,42 m.1. Sarah Elizabeth PITTMAN
4 Sep. 1879;7 m.2. Julia H. SHAFFER 1 Nov. 1883;7 m.3. Elva Ann
DAVIS 2 Sep. 1888;15,48 d. 5 Sep. 1925, bur. Cedar Hill Cem., Corydon, Harrison Co., IN20,42
6. Henry Wilford AMY b. 5 Nov. 1857,21 14,15; m. Mary Elizabeth HOOD
18 Mar. 1885 Gladbrook Tama Co., Iowa;21,46 d. 15 Mar. 1936 Pueblo, Pueblo Co., Colo.,26
bur. Roselawn Cem., Pueblo, Pueblo Co., Colo.26,38,51
7. Joseph AMY b. 3 Oct. 1860;14,15 m.1. Sarah Louise BENNETT 28 July 1887;23
m.2. Harriett ROSIER ca. 1897; d. 2 June 1947,15 KS, bur. Appleton Twp. Cem.,
Minneola, Clark Co., KS22
8. Levi D. AMY b. 10 Dec. 186214,15,25; m.1. Mary Etta BUCKLIN 18 Sep. 1890;23
m.2. Mrs. Minnie L. (SPITZER)27 MILHOAN 15 May 1916;24 d. 18 May 1962
Los Angeles, Los Angeles Co., CA25
9. Fielding W. AMY b. 8 July 1865;14,15 m. Elizabeth PHIPPS 16 Dec. 1891;23
d. 30 May 1948 Kirk, Yuma Co., Colo.,29 bur. Kirk Cemetery28
10.Nora AMY b. 15 Apr. 1868;14,15 m.1. Frank REITENBAUGH 30 Aug. 1885;30,47
m.2. William B. TUCKER 2 Nov. 1925;30 d. 1 Jan. 1941,30 bur. Appleton
Twp. Cem., Minneola, Clark Co., KS31
Henry Wilford AMY and Mary Elizabeth HOOD had children:
1. Bessie "Betty" Ethelyn AMY b. 16 Nov. 1885,21 Calhoun Co., Iowa;33 m. Fred
Henry ZIMMERMAN 1 Sep. 1906;32 d. 27 Feb. 1974 La Junta, Otero Co.,
Colo., bur. Fairview Cem., La Junta, Otero Co., Colo.34
2. Edwin Wilson AMY b. 8 Jan. 1887,21,25 Marshalltown, Marshall Co., Iowa;
never married; d. 6 Nov. 1957 Butte Co., CA;25 bur. Memorial Park Cem., Oroville,
Butte Co., CA52
3. Katheryn Mahala AMY b. 9 June 1889,21 Dodge City, Ford Co., KS; m.1.
Thomas A. STODDARD 11 Oct. 1911;27,40 divorced 30 Mar. 1915;40 m.2. Edward Leslie43 OAKES
21 June 1915;35,36 divorced 27 Oct. 1920;36 m.3. King F. WESTON 7 Aug. 1924;27
4. Lawrence Tracy AMY b. 5 Nov. 1895,21 Hugo, Lincoln Co., Colo.; m.
12 Sep. 1935 Lucille J. (TIPPS)27 McKNIGHT;27 d. 5 Mar. 1969, bur. Mountain View Cem.,
Mouuntain Home, Elmore Co., ID50
5. Paul Clayton AMY b. 22 June 1897,21,49 Las Animas, Bent Co., Colo.;
d. 5 Sep. 1898;21,49 bur. Las Animas Cem.49
6. Ruth Marie AMY b. 31 May 1899,21 Las Animas, Bent Co., Colo.; m.
Howard HOLM 31 July 1925;27 d. 3 Mar. 1966, bur. Roselawn Cem.,Pueblo,
Pueblo Co., Colo.38,53
7. Arthur Leighton AMY b. 17 Dec. 1901,21 Las Animas, Bent Co., Colo.;
m. Jeanette Conjentina LORENZ 23 Dec. 1929;27 d. 4 Nov. 1973;38,39 bur.
Roselawn Cem., Pueblo, Pueblo Co., Colo.38,39,54
1. Joseph Amy headstone, Old Pitman Cemetery (also known as Applegate Cemetery)
Located 1.3 miles west of Central, Harrison Co., Indiana on the road going to New
2. Joseph Amy will, Harrison County, Ind. Wills C:574-575, FHL microfilm 1,404,687.
It is not stated in the will, but his granddaughter Keziah Amy was a
daughter of Joseph A. Amy and wife Martha A. CURTS.
3. Casindria Amy headstone, Old Pitman (Applegate) Cemetery, Harrison Co., Ind.
4. 1850 Harrison Co., Indiana census, p. 459 [stamped], p. 916 [handwritten].
Note: Ira and Allen in household of Jospeh and Cassandra.
5. Father's residence.
6. Mary J. Funk headstone, Ripperdan-Sonner Cemetery, Harrison Co., Ind.
Birth date calculated from age given at death.
7. Harrison Co., IN marriage records,
Marriage Register A-3, FHL microfilm 1,404,750
John McAdams-Elizabeth Amy p. 89. [no return]
Preston Funck-Mary Jane Amy p. 111.
Jesse Amy-Mahala Mingles p. 190. Note: The license was issued on 21 June.
The certification is the marriage occurred on 12 (sic) June.
Source 30 gives the date as 22 June.
Joseph Amy-Martha Ann Curts p. 191.
Marriage Register B, FHL microfilm 0,549,384.
George W. Amy-Margaret Davidson, p. 105.
Allen Amy-Ann Marie Vigus, p. 241.
Marriage Record C, FHL microfilm 1,404,751
Allen Amy-Mary Magdalene Briles, p. 101.
Marriage Record D-E, FHL microfilm 1,404,751.
George W. Amy-Julia A. Long, p. 483.
Marriage Record F, FHL microfilm 1,404,751
John McAdams-Martha A. Amy, p. 45.
Marriage Record G, FHL microfilm 1,404,869
Harrison Pittman-Mary Amy, p. 81.
Ira Amy-Harriet A. Jones, p. 291.
Marriage Record I, FHL microfilm 1,404,870
George N. Amy-Sarah C. Pitman, p. 65.
Marriage Record J, FHL microfilm 1,404,870
George N. Amy-Julia A. Shaffer, p. 261.
Marriage Record K, FHL microfilm 1,404,871
George N. Amy-Elva A. Davis, p. 513.
No return date. 2 Sep. 1888 according to source 15.
8. George William Amy obituary, Corydon Democrat, Corydon,
Ind., publication date unknown, [died 1 Mar. 1927, and the funeral
of 4 Mar. had already been held]. George was a son of Joseph Amy
and wife Martha, and it was stated his father died at Andersonville
9. Jesse Amy headstone, Kirk Cemetery, Kirk, Yuma Co., Colo.
10. 1860 Harrison Co., Ind. census, John McAdams household, p. 63.
11. Coffey Co., KS Vital Statistics, p. 74, FHL microfilm 1,513,387.
12. Geo. W. Amy headstone, Graceland Cemetery, Burlington, Coffey Co., KS.
13. Allen Amy Civil War Service Record, Company A, 49th Indiana, National Archives,
14. Feilding Amy Bible, was in possession of Betsy Amy Smith, Olney Springs,
Colo., deceaased 1994.
15. William E. Amy, Corydon, Ind. to Betsy Amy Smith, letter 13 Jan. 1957,
photocopy in my possession.
16. 1900 cass Co., TX census, page 174B. [As Jhon M. Amey]
17. John M. Amy death certificate, Texas Death Certificates July 1927,
Certificate 24012, FHL microfilm 2,114,332, frame 1705.
18. Ira Amy obtituary, undated clipping from Corydon Democrat, Corydon, Ind.,
stated he died "last Saturday, April 7" [handwritten died April 7, 1923
19. Mary E. Pittmn obituary, undated clipping from Corydon Democrat, Corydon,
Ind., stated she died "Thursday evening, December 13th" [handwritten died
Dec. 13, 1928 at top].
20. George N. Amy obituary, undated clipping from Corydon Democrat, Corydon,
Ind., stated he died "Saturday morning" [handwritten died September 5, 1925
21. Henry W. Amy Bible, loose page from unknown Bible, digital image held by
Fredric Z. Saunders.
22. Joseph Amy headstone, Appleton Twp. Cem., Minneola, Clark Co., KS.
23. Jasper Co., Iowa Marriage Register 1, FHL microfilm 1,034,510.
Amy-Bennett p. 115, #1475
Amy-Bucklin p. 166, #2147
Amy-Phipps p. 190, #2450 [as "Frederick W. Amy"]
24. Kit Carson Co., Colo. Marriage Licenses 900-1100, Cert. No. 908,
FHL microfilm 2,069,739, item 6.
25. Rootsweb, California Death Records Index.
26. Henry W. Amy obituary, "The Pueblo Chieftan," Pueblo, Colo.,
16 Mar. 1936, p. 10.
27. Colorado Division of Vital Statistics. Department of Health, Statewide Marriage Index.
Thomas A.Stoddard-Katheryn M. Amy at Pueblo #12024, FHL microfilm 1690138.
King F. Weston-Kathryn M. Oakes at Golden #99132, FHL microfilm 1690148.
Howard Holm-Ruth M. Amy at Pueblo #21783, FHL microfilm 1690089.
Arthur L. Amy-Jeanette C. Lorenz at Colorado Springs #17839, FHL microfilm 1690048.
Lawrence T. Amy-Lucille McKnight at Pueblo #1317, FHL microfilm 1690048.
Sheldon McKnight-Lucile Tipps at Boulder #6431, FHL microfilm 1690108.
William Milhoan-Minnie Sptizer at Denver, #8038.
28. Derrill Langen, Kirk Cemetery, Kirk, Yuma County, Colorado,(Langen, 1999).
29. Information Betsy Amy Smith, Olney Springs, Colorado, (now deceased).
30. Eunice M. Pittman, Amy Family (no location: privately printe, no date),
31. Nora Tucker headstone, Appleton Twp. Cem., Minneola, Clark Co., KS.
32. Zimmerman-Amy marriage certificate, Syracuse, Hamilton Co., KS.
In my possession.
33. Levi D. Amy, Downey, Calif. certified letter to Mrs. Fred H. Zimmerman
[Bessie E. (Amy) Zimmerman], La Junta, Colorado, "Dear Niece", 23 July 1956,
privately held by Fredric Z. Saunders. Levi was present at her birth and gave
details, apparently for proof of her birth for Social Security purposes.
34. Betty Zimmerman obituary, undated clipping from La Junta Tribune-Democrat,
La Junta, Colorado.
35. Jackson Co., MO Marriage License Record B-63, p. 19.
36. Colorado Divorce Record Index, alphabetical by plaintiff, Katheryn M. Oakes,
FHL microfilm 1,690,165.
37. 1951 Denver City Directory.
38. Roselawn Cemetery Genealogy, Pueblo, Pueblo Co., Colorado.
39. Arthur L. Amy obituary, undated clipping from Pueblo Chieftan,
40. Colorado Divorce Record Index, alphabetical by plaintiff, Katheryn M. Stoddard,
FHL microfilm 1,690,168.
41. Margaret Wilburn headstone, Greenbrier Cem., a/k/a Old Cold Friday Cem., Harrison Co., Ind.
Margaret, wife of Nelson Wilburn age 22y, 5m, 9d
42. Geo. N. Amy headstone, Cedar Hill Cem., Corydon, Harrison Co., Indiana.
43. WWI Draft Cards, Edward Leslie Oakes.
44. Mary E. Pittman headstone, Cedar Hill Cem., Corydon, Harrison Co., Indiana.
45. Ira Amy headstone, New Amsterdam Cem., New Amsterdam, Harrison Co., Indiana.
46. Tama County, Iowa Register of Marriages 1:72, FHL microfilm 1,022,738.
Henry W. Amy (parents Jesse Amy and Mahale Mingles to Mary E. Hoode (parents
Samuel Hoode and Sivila Alen).
47. Marshall County, Iowa Marriage Record 1:165, FHL microfilm 0,956,738.
48. Harrison Co., Ind. Marriage Record 1, 1882-1883, pages 176-177, FHL microfilm 1,404,875.
George "M." Amy-Elva A. Davis
49. Paul Clayton Amy headstone, Las Animas Cemetery, Las Animas, Bent Co., Colorado.
50. Lawrence T. Amy headstone, Mountain View Cem., Mountain Home, Elmore Co., Idaho.
51. Henry Wilford Amy headstone, Roselawn Cem., Pueblo, Pueblo Co., Colorado.
52. Edwin Wilson Amy headstone, Memorial Park Cem., Oroville, Butte Co., California.
53. Ruth M. Holm headstone, Roselawn Cem., Pueblo, Pueblo Co., Colorado.
54. Arthur L. Amy headstone, Roselawn Cem., Pueblo, Pueblo Co., Colorado.
55. Mahala Mingles obituary, Kit Carson County Record, 17 March 1910.
56. 31 March 1833 letter from Mary Applegate of Harrison County, Indiana to
son James Applegate of Elizabeth Town[ship], Allegheny County, PA.
This page accessed times.
Page created by: email@example.com
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 1 May 2018