If you are a male ALLEN descended from this family, to date no one has DNA tested
from this line. If you are interested in testing, and in knowing how DNA may
help identify earlier generations, please contact me.
James ALLEN was born in York Co, PA.1,7,34 The date is unknown, but it was probably
between 1800 and 1807. His tombstone states he died 10 July 1890, age
90 years, 28 days.2 This would give a birth of about 12 June 1800, but
there would be also be question if the death date is correct. His heirs
applied for letters of administration on his estate on 14 Aug. 1890, and
stated he died on [blank] June 1890.3 In the 1840 census James gave his
age as 30-40;4 in 1860 he was age 55;5 and age 77 in 1880.6 At his
enlistment on 27 Nov. 1861, he stated he was age 42, probably so he would
qualify.1 His Certificate of Disability for Discharge on 10 Apr. 1863
stated he was "fifty five" [crossed out] and change to "Near Sixty," and
"an improper enlistment."1,7 In testifying for a pension, in 1879 he stated
he was 63,7 while in 1882 his wife stated he was 78.8 When he was admitted
to the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Veterans on 15 Nov. 1884 his age
was given as 80.34
In 1858 he "abandoned his family" and lived with them only occassionally
after that time. In 1865 he "went west" on advice of doctors for his
catarrh. He lived there nine years before returning to Ohio.8
James was buried in Middleswart Cem., Lebanon Twp., Meigs Co., OH.2,29
He m. 1832 in Franklin Co., PA9
Mary Ann HARKINS9,10,20 b. 2111/222 Nov. 1814 Franklin Co., PA;11 d. 25 Mar. 18892,11
Lebanon Twp.,11 Meigs Co., OH; bur. Middleswart Cem.2,30
1. Civilla8 Catherine14 ALLEN b. 5 July 183312 or 18348 Huntingdon12 Co., PA; m.
Samuel HOOD 16 Apr. 1853;13 d. 29 May 1890,14 bur. West GAR Secion,
Maple Grove Cem., Ford Co., KS26
2. Thomas8 Gamble10 ALLEN b. 18 Jan. 183710 Pittsburg,10 Allegheny Co., PA;
m. Louisa J. WHITE 4 Feb. 1864;13 d. 21 Dec. 1912;10 bur. Middleswart
3. Harkins8 C. ALLEN b. 211/32 Aug. 1841 Jackson15 Co., WV;18 never married;
d. 19 Aug. 18782,8 Portland, Meigs Co., OH;8 bur. Middleswart Cem.2,32
4. James8 William16 ALLEN b. about 27 Feb. 184417 OH;5,6,18 m. Julia Orinda27 COOPER16
1 Jan. 1879;13 d. 28 Aug. 1885;17 bur. Oak Grove Cem., Sutton Twp.,
Meigs Co., OH17
5. Augustus8 John18 ALLEN b. 24 July 184720 Meigs23 Co, OH;5,6,18 m. Marietta TAGGERT
10 Nov. 1875;13 d. 26 Aug. 1903 Athens Co., OH;19,23 (buried Meigs Co.)?
6. Harriet8 Newell21 ALLEN b. about 18 Feb. 18492 OH;5,6,18 never married;23
d. 20 Mar. 18902,23 Athens Co., Ohio;23 bur. Middleswart Cem.2,33
7. Melvina8 L. ALLEN b. about 16/1725 Feb.22 18528 [or 1854]22,25 OH5,6,18,22,25;
m. John T. BROWN 19 Dec. 1878;13 d. 7 Mar. 1928 Orange Co., CA;24,25
bur. Loma Vista Memorial Park, Fullerton, Orange Co., CA25,28
1. James Allen compiled service record, 9th WV infantry, Compiled Service
Records of Volunteer Union Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the
State of West Virginia, NARA microfilm 508, roll 164, FHL microfilm
2. Meigs County Genealogical Society, Cemeteries of Lebanon Township,
Meigs County, Ohio, (no place: by author, 1992).
James Allen 10 July 1890, age 90y 28d
Mary A. Allen 25 Mar. 1889, age 74y, 4m, 3d
Harkeins C. Allen 19 Aug. 1878 age 35y, 16d
Hattie N. Allen d. 20 Mar. 1890, age 41y, 1m, 2d
3. James Allen application for letters of administration, probate file
3912, Meigs Co., Ohio.
4. 1840 Jackson Co., (West) Virginia census, James Allen household, p.226.
5. 1860 Meigs Co., OH census, James Allen household, p.295A
6. 1880 Meigs Co., OH census.
7. James Allen pension file 482,676 (Co. C., 9th WV Vol. Inf.), National
Archives, Washington, D. C.
8. Mary A. Allen, dependent mother of Harkins C. Allen pension file 238,047
(Co. C, 9th WV Vol. Inf.), National Archives, Washington, D. C.
9. D. I. Camp and Rev. J. Warren Kaufmann, History of the Presbyterian Churches of Path Valley,
(Chambersburg, Pennsylvania: Press of the Chambersburg Repository, 1916), p. 95
10. Thomas Gamble Allen, death certificate # 61005? [very faded number],
State of Ohio, Bureau of Vital Statistics.
11. Meigs Co., Ohio death records, FHL microfilm 0,313,469.
1:134-135, #222, Harkins C. Allen 19 Aug. 1878 age 37y, 17d
1:266-267, #44, Mary A. Allen 25 Mar. 1889 age 74y, 4m, 4d
12. Hood Bible in 1977 in possession of Cora (Hood) Moore, Rapid City, SD.
13. Meigs Co., OH marriage records.
Hood-Allen, 2:40, FHL microfilm 0,313,453.
Allen-White, 3:179, FHL microfilm 0,313,454.
Allen-Cooper, 6:537, FHL microfilm 0,313,455.
Allen-Taggert, 6:227, FHL microfilm 0,313,455.
Brown-Allen, 6:531, FHL microfilm 0,313,455.
14. Samuel Hood pension file, 289,375 (7th Ind. Battery, OH light art.),
National Archives, Washington, D. C.
Note different documents give the death of Civilla as both 28 and 29 May
1890. See #26, where the date is 29 May.
15. Michael L. Trowbridge, Meigs County, Ohio Soldier Discharge Book
Volumes 1 and 2, (Pomeroy, OH: Meigs County Genealogical Society,
1988). [as Markin (sic) C. ALLEN]
16. Meigs Co., OH birth records 1, pp. 523-524, #663 James Lewis Allen entry.
Parents listed as Jas. Wm. Allen and Julia O. Cooper.
17. Meigs County Genealogical Society, Cemeteries of Meigs County, Ohio,
Sutton Township, (no place: by author, 1990).
James W. Allen 28 Aug. 1885, age 41y, 6m, 1d
18. 1870 Meigs Co., OH census, Mary A. Allen household, p. 76A.
19. Augustus Allen pension file 115,725 (Co. F, 174 Regt OH Vol. Inf.),
National Archives, Washington, D. C.
20. Hardesty's Historical and Geographical Encyclopedia, Outline Map
and History of Meigs County, Ohio, (Chicago: H. H. Hardesty & Co.,
1883), 23, FHL microfilm 0,213,046.
21. Family records of Bessie Ethelyn (Amy) Zimmerman. In my possession.
22. 1900 Silver Bow Co., MT census, J. T. Brown household.
23. Athens Co., OH Death Records.
1:252-253 Harriet Allen 20 Mar. 1890, age 40
3:1 Augustus Allen 26 Aug. 1903, age 57
24. CA Death index 1905-1929, p. 1286, Melvina J. Brown.
25. Loma Vista Memorial Park [email@example.com] e-mail message to author
21 Mar. 2003 stated their records show she died 7 Mar. 1928, age 74 years.,
20 days, born OH, buried grave 368/Rose Lawn, informant Clyde Brown.
[Not stated, Clyde Brown was her son.]
26. American History and Genealogy Project, Maple Grove cemetery inscription,
Photo available here. Note: The transcription page gives her birth as 15 July,
but the photo appears to be 5 July, which is the date in #12.
27. Julia Orinda Allen Death Certificate, Ohio Department of Health, 1945,
certificate 53119, FHL microfilm 2,372,583.
28. Melvina Allen headstone, Loma Vista Memorial Park, Fullerton, Orange Co., CA
29. James Allen headstone, Middleswart Cemetery, Meigs Co., Ohio
30. Mary A. Allen headstone, Middleswart Cemetery, Meigs Co., Ohio
31. Thomas G. Allen headstone, Middleswart Cemetery, Meigs Co., Ohio
32. Harkeins C. Allen headstone, Middleswart Cemetery, Meigs Co., Ohio
33. Hattie N. Allen headstone, Middleswart Cemetery, Meigs Co., Ohio
34. United States, National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, 1866-1938,
Central Branch, Dayton, Ohio, James Allen, Register Number 12745.
This page accessed times.
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 19 May 2017